News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Calgary International Airport

I love how established our airport is in terms of usage. To do almost as much as YUL with a third the population and over double the volume of YEG with roughly the same population in the greater area says a lot about YYC's status.

Edit: A number that jumps out at me too is Kelowna, busier than Victoria and Saskatoon. That's very impressive for a city of around 200 000 people.

Last edited:
Part of it is that Kelowna covers the whole Okanagan. Penticton and Kamloops have airports that can handle jets but they don't have many flights.. I know from friends who live in the OK that Kelowna draws as far away as Osoyoos and Shuswap. Also from Kamloops. The number of people it services is probably somewhere around 500K

A solid start to 2019 in terms of passenger volumes - 5.7% increase. The one concerning aspect is the 1.2% decrease in international passengers hopefully the new routes from WestJet will help on that front.

Great numbers all around. Considering we’ve lost a flight to London and a flight to Tokyo the numbers don’t look bad.

Interesting numbers regarding O&D from YYC to Asian Hubs. Calgary is moving onto the radar as an unserved destination for at least three main Asian Hubs: Hong Kong, Delhi, and Seoul. The one that jumps out to me is HKG and DEL. Both have fairly strong numbers.

YYC-HKG 41,814 - 5th largest unserved market from HKG
DEL-YYC 55,154 - 9th largest unserved market from DEL
ICN-YYC 34,950 - 12th largest unserved market from ICN

Problem with Delhi is India is apparently a very low yielding market, with most passengers going for the cheapest tickets possible. Makes it hard to make any money on a long route like that.

Interesting numbers regarding O&D from YYC to Asian Hubs. Calgary is moving onto the radar as an unserved destination for at least three main Asian Hubs: Hong Kong, Delhi, and Seoul. The one that jumps out to me is HKG and DEL. Both have fairly strong numbers.

YYC-HKG 41,814 - 5th largest unserved market from HKG
DEL-YYC 55,154 - 9th largest unserved market from DEL
ICN-YYC 34,950 - 12th largest unserved market from ICN

Hong Kong would be huge since it is usually a connecting destination for the Philippines, Malaysia, and Australia. Also would save me a ton of time whenever I go back.

Problem with Delhi is India is apparently a very low yielding market, with most passengers going for the cheapest tickets possible. Makes it hard to make any money on a long route like that.
And with that kind of distance they would need something like a Dreamliner, A350 or 777. A 767 might make sense from a cheap flights perspective, but doesn't have the range. An A332 has the range, but I don't believe AC flies them. AT flies them.

On a flip side, according to the link, YEG also has decent numbers at 42K With it being close enough for people to drive and do 'the Calgary habit' maybe it's enough for a 3 or 4 x weekly?

And with that kind of distance they would need something like a Dreamliner, A350 or 777. A 767 might make sense from a cheap flights perspective, but doesn't have the range. An A332 has the range, but I don't believe AC flies them. AT flies them.

On a flip side, according to the link, YEG also has decent numbers at 42K With it being close enough for people to drive and do 'the Calgary habit' maybe it's enough for a 3 or 4 x weekly?

I think it would have to be something around the 787-8 size, A350 and 777 would just be too much plane I think. Would definitely want to draw from YEG passengers and other prairie sites if looking at DEL. Also keep in mind our 55,154 would only work out to about 75 passengers each way every day. So you would definitely want to be drawing from other areas near YYC to fill the plane. But like I said before, if DEL is very low yielding it still may not be worth it.

The issue would be the low yield, and for sure would probably have to be a 788 or A332. A350 and 777 have the range, but are too large. If you could do a 3 or 4x weekly service that is direct, it might be enough to entice people even if the cost is a bit higher. Who knows.
I think HKG is more likely, as there would definitely be way more business travel.

Travel to and from Hong Kong is more on the business side for sure. I would bet travel from Delhi is more related to families visiting relatives and thus the low cost factor.
The issue would be the low yield, and for sure would probably have to be a 788 or A332. A350 and 777 have the range, but are too large. If you could do a 3 or 4x weekly service that is direct, it might be enough to entice people even if the cost is a bit higher. Who knows.
I think HKG is more likely, as there would definitely be way more business travel.

Back