IMG_5016.JPG
    372.2 KB · Views: 479
May 7, 2018

fullsizeoutput_b5a.jpeg

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_b5a.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_b5a.jpeg
    644.8 KB · Views: 478
Does the City's mainstreets upgrade in Marda Loop include 34th Ave? If so, would it bury the telephone poles? Or, is it just for 33rd Ave? Unfortunately it is just too high of a cost to put on one developer.

What's frustrating about 34th ave telephone poles, is that there are also telephones in the alleyway right behind the building.

Does the City's mainstreets upgrade in Marda Loop include 34th Ave? If so, would it bury the telephone poles? Or, is it just for 33rd Ave? Unfortunately it is just too high of a cost to put on one developer.

It includes 34 (see below). I don't recall any specific mention of the telephone polls, but I can't see how they'd do any major redevelopment without burying the lines. It's all a matter of how long this new plan sits on the books before the city is able to commit money to it.

33Ave_BoundaryMap.jpg

Last edited:
In our discussion in the urban development thread we had talked about what the city could do with money they got from greenfield levies. Maybe projects like burying telephone poles (and other Mainstreets initiatives) could be one area where the money goes to?

By the time there’s a commitment to bury those lines technology will probably make them obsolete. Of course the city will still spend all the time and money to do it anyway.

Does anyone know if 33/34 are due for other utility upgrades? That would probably dictate the likelihood of the lines getting buried. If you add utility upgrades to other main street initiatives like widening the sidewalks, installing curb extensions at every crosswalk, and upgrading the lighting, then it seems like burying the lines would be a relatively small task.

Anyway, I've never been overly concerned with overhead power lines. They may make a street look cluttered, but they don't impact its vibrancy. In fact, there's actually something quaint about looking up and seeing a spiderweb of wires overhead.

Does anyone know if 33/34 are due for other utility upgrades? That would probably dictate the likelihood of the lines getting buried. If you add utility upgrades to other main street initiatives like widening the sidewalks, installing curb extensions at every crosswalk, and upgrading the lighting, then it seems like burying the lines would be a relatively small task.

Anyway, I've never been overly concerned with overhead power lines. They may make a street look cluttered, but they don't impact its vibrancy. In fact, there's actually something quaint about looking up and seeing a spiderweb of wires overhead.
I don't mind overhead lines done the way the do in Europe with the lines going from building to building, but there's just something about the way the lines are done here that drives me nuts. In the end it's not a deal breaker or anything, but would be nice if the city could bury them around busy places like Marda Loop, etc..

Back