News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Infill Development Discussion

I would have loved to have heard if there was any sustainable building construction put into that thing. That rooftop alone could have been done up with solar panels that would catch sun all damn day.

C'mon, I can't be the only one who likes how the house turned out lmao
It's a cool house for sure. I just hate the location. Crescent heights hill needs to redevelop into a tourist hotspot. It would be a gamechanger if we got a viewing plaza with a row of midrises that have rooftop patios and some retail space at ground level. A house like this belongs in Upper Mount Royal.

I would have loved to have heard if there was any sustainable building construction put into that thing. That rooftop alone could have been done up with solar panels that would catch sun all damn day.
Considering this was in the article:
Unlike most homes, there is no structural wood in this build. Instead, its main structure is forged from steel and suspended steel/concrete floor and roof systems.

“The large overhangs, spans required for open spaces, and weight of the building itself could not have been constructed majorly out of wood,” he says.
I'm going to say no, they don't know much about sustainable construction.

Sinclair Signature Homes is proposing to re-designate the property at 1801 33 Ave SW (corner of 33 Ave SW and 17 St) to allow for row housing (likely similar to the row housing across 17 St from the property). This property seems better positioned for higher density to me, given the older homes adjacent to the property, and the condos going up on 33 Ave SW.

Sinclair Signature Homes is proposing to re-designate the property at 1801 33 Ave SW (corner of 33 Ave SW and 17 St) to allow for row housing (likely similar to the row housing across 17 St from the property). This property seems better positioned for higher density to me, given the older homes adjacent to the property, and the condos going up on 33 Ave SW.
such a cool old house on that lot, its a shame its been so neglected like many others

To add to that, it seems like more and more of the SFH along 33rd are being utilized as buisnesses. Could end up being a cool stretch with a combination of 4-6 story mixed use buildings, townhomes, and buisness occupying older homes

Last edited:
such a cool old house on that lot, its a shame its been so neglected like many others

To add to that, it seems like more and more of the SFH along 33rd are being utilized as buisnesses. Could end up being a cool stretch with a combination of 4-6 story mixed use buildings, townhomes, and buisness occupying older homes
Yeah, it is a cool house, but the home and yard have not been well maintained, so I'll be happy to see it cleaned up.

Man, the North Hill area has been on an absolute tear the past year or so. Especially in regards to rowhouses and other missing middle type buildings. Here's a proposal along 20th Ave for a 22 unit rowhouse complex https://developmentmap.calgary.ca/?find=LOC2021-0154

I honestly might go around and do an inventory soon but if I had to guess I'd say between Banff Trail and Capital Hill alone 50+ residential units have been added in just the past year or so

Man, the North Hill area has been on an absolute tear the past year or so. Especially in regards to rowhouses and other missing middle type buildings. Here's a proposal along 20th Ave for a 22 unit rowhouse complex https://developmentmap.calgary.ca/?find=LOC2021-0154

I honestly might go around and do an inventory soon but if I had to guess I'd say between Banff Trail and Capital Hill alone 50+ residential units have been added in just the past year or so
The North hill as so much potential. With what we've seen from proposals along 16th ave and 24th ave, I can see the whole area really starting to turn. Capitol Hill is on fire, every street seems to have duplexes or small row home projects under construction.

The North hill as so much potential. With what we've seen from proposals along 16th ave and 24th ave, I can see the whole area really starting to turn. Capitol Hill is on fire, every street seems to have duplexes or small row home projects under construction.
Agreed - the North Hill area is hot! However, it's missing one crucial element, a walkable main street node to link vibrancy to it to create a truly urban place.

I think the main gap is that some of the best located corridors like 16 Ave N and Centre - good transit, existing and future density, major destinations - are also the most hostile to human beings and therefore will take the most work, time, money and redevelopment to rejuvenate into something urban. I am much more optimistic on the smaller corridors that won't take as much to create a pocket of good activity.

Here's my rundown of the wealth of excellent proto - main streets/clusters in North Hill, all with great infill / redevelopment potential but also with some serious limitations:

Centre Street N:
  • Obvious central corridor with huge transit usage and lots of nodes to build from.
  • Greenline is a project at the scale required to fix the street, also brings with it critical high-density potential
  • Effectively a car/bus sewer today with little to no quality walkable environments between the rare good blocks of urban developments.
16 Ave N:
  • Obvious central corridor with huge (potential) transit usage
  • Tons of high density potential and existing destinations, some reasonable sidewalks
  • Effectively a car sewer today with far too much heavy traffic to create a urban, pedestrian node of much quality/length
24 Ave N (Crowchild to 14 Street NW)
  • Several exciting mid-density projects, lots of eminent redevelopment projects.
  • Recent public realm improvements are great and long-term location advantages due to U of C proximity a boost.
  • No retail or mid-density developments yet to support main street, many are needed to create new node from essentially scratch. Crowchild integration will always be a big barrier to truly developing this strip.
20 Ave N
  • Lots of good redevelopment at low/mid densities and more in the near future
  • Consistently not overtly hostile to pedestrians; reasonable sidewalks, reasonable traffic volumes
  • Only a handful of limited nodes for retail exist today/planned, no real focus point or cluster yet.
Edmonton Trail (south of 16 Ave N)
  • Probably the best walkable strip in the whole North Hill today with a decent cluster of buildings
  • Existing mid-density neighbourhoods supporting the retail strip nearby
  • Poor public realm and car-sewer, giant building setbacks hold back progress.
4 Street NW (22 Ave - 30 Ave N)
  • A couple small existing retail clusters forming a reasonable node to build from.
  • Consistently not overtly hostile to pedestrians; reasonable sidewalks, reasonable traffic volumes.
  • Not much higher density occurring at any scale nearby yet that would support walkable main street development.
Highland Park / Greenview Industrial Park
  • Good, weird cluster of businesses in a rare close integration to residential areas leads to unique opportunities - one of the only outside Ramsay/Inglewood, Forest Lawn.
  • Consistently not overtly hostile to pedestrians; reasonable sidewalks (in some areas), reasonable traffic volumes.
  • Not much higher density occurring at any scale nearby yet that would support walkable main street development or industrial area development.

20th ave still has some potential to be a walk-able, vibrant pedestrian corridor. If some mid-sized developments can be built at intersections of cross streets like Edmonton Tr, Centre, 4th, 10th, 14th etc.. We may be able to get some traction on sections in between. It's a long ways off, but still doable.

Another option is to make radical changes to 16th.

Back