Calgary in April 2009

Ummagumma66

Member Bio
Reaction score
Some shots of Calgary from yesterday

Hipster Duck

Member Bio
Reaction score
Nice pics. I'm still amazed that Calgary did something Toronto never could, and closed not one, but two major downtown streets to cars. Stephen avenue is really nice, but how's the retail? Despite having nearly everything else, Calgary is still missing something of a Ste. Catherine, Robson or Yonge street.

Ummagumma66

Member Bio
Reaction score
the retail is there, but its no Yonge street. its more the destination for good restaurants and pubs. they used to have a McNally-Robinson Book store that really was the best bookstore in the city. While Stephen Ave may not be a Yonge type street, it really is the most vibrant street in the core. I'll do a photo tour of Stephen Ave. sometime soon...

allabootmatt

Member Bio
Reaction score
For the most vibrant street in the core, it sure looks empty in those shots. Was it super-cold or something?

In any case, great photos of a place we don't see much of on here. Thanks!

khristopher

Member Bio
Reaction score
Great photo tour. They really know how to build em ugly in Calgary! Most of the buildings that I like seem to be older ones. Those newer condos are just nauseating. Particularly the blue cladded one.

I like the mini TD Centre building in the second from last photo!

grey

Member Bio
Reaction score
I bet that if you were going to shoot a film in Toronto set in Calgary, University Avenue would probably come in handy.

MisterF

Member Bio
Reaction score
From what I've seen, it's usually minor streets that make the best pedestrian-only areas, not major streets. There's probably a dozen or more side streets in downtown Toronto that would be great closed off to traffic, but I wouldn't want to see it happen on any of the main streets.

Anyway, nice pics. I've only been to Calgary once and I didn't have much time to explore the city.