News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Calgary I Westbrook Residential I 26M I 7S I LOLA Architecture

MichaelS

Member Bio
Reaction score
I saw there is a rendering on the DP sign for this project, located at 1408 33rd St SW.
DP link is here:
Land Use link is here:

Zero parking by the looks of it, with a rooftop amenity
1621052200564.png

I don’t think others will like this much, but I like it. It has kind of an international style to it. Mostly though, I like the large windows.

I hate the ground floor, if developers like Truman are trying to push for a vibrant TOD style Mainstreet, the least the developers can do for this is add some ground-floor retail to help activate the street. Otherwise, the density is much welcomed

I hate the ground floor, if developers like Truman are trying to push for a vibrant TOD style Mainstreet, the least the developers can do for this is add some ground-floor retail to help activate the street. Otherwise, the density is much welcomed
Empty retail activates the street even less. Not every residential building needs retail at the bottom - given the narrow side faces 33rd, this is fine.

Usually I would agree about ground-floor retail, but the location isn't really as good as the Truman parcels as this is the last site to abut the Bow Trail blast zone. Sorry not an architect and I can't draw straight today:

1621271817470.png

The "street" to the north is just an alley combined with a weird slip access to the parallel road to Bow Trail. Immediately to the north is a bunch of power boxes installed as part of the LRT construction and I assume will never get developed. You also start all the slip lanes and medians for the 33rd and Bow Trail intersection right in front of the site so it's where the cars start acting like it's time to merge into a no-stopping right turn, rather than approaching an urban intersection and slowing down. Here's the top view for a better look at all that high-speed pavement nearby:

1621272086440.png

So whatever you put at the ground floor will have 60 - 80 decibel traffic noise permanently, plus a bunch of high-speed cars turning right a few metres away. This building fits into that category of doing everything right on it's own, but it's car-oriented environment holds back some of the possibilities of what's realistic. What's stellar is the minimal parking and reasonable, human scale height - so it's part of long-term, transit and human-centric solution.

I saw there is a rendering on the DP sign for this project, located at 1408 33rd St SW.
DP link is here:
Land Use link is here:

Zero parking by the looks of it, with a rooftop amenity
View attachment 319683
I imagine the rooftop views would be great. High enough that you can get a decent mountain view to the SW, and of course fab downtown views.

Back