News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Calgary I Marda 33 I ?m I 2s I Ronmor I Abugov Kaspar

As per what @MichaelS was saying about easements and alleyway access. It looks like it would be easy enough to implement as far as coming in from the west. Just a matter of opening up a fence and continuing the alleyway.... if it's not too much red tape involved. It looks like access would work from the east 19th street also, if the city and developer could sort things out.

MD1.JPG

Good sleuthing here. A few items: 1. Ronmor owns the Shopper's Building, at least the commercial portion, so it shouldn't be a big deal to extend their alley from the west, and to use/improve the existing 33rd Ave access ramp on east side of Shopper's building to serve both sites. 2. It looks like there is an e-w utility ROW thru the block for the Enmax poles. That must be how the old houses facing 34th always had access. 3. I saw an old City planning document that recommended creating an alley here as suggested, but never implemented. I'll try to find the reference when I'm back among my paper files... think it was from the 90s.

Noticed that there are new renders for this project, looks to be a completely different building proposed. Much better fit IMO, a lot less like a car dealership and similar in nature to the rest of 33rd along that stretch.

22-05-17-Renders-General-Business-3-1-scaled.jpg

It’s better. This is a tough lot. Big grade change. Not large enough to justify excavating a parking garage for residential/mixed use. It sort of feels like it’s either this, or consolidate the adjacent properties to the corner to build something bigger.

Another decent retail pickup for Marda Loop, continues Marda's strange downtown corporate chain preferred second location streak. Not an overly interesting bar, but rooftop patio will be nice.

Looking at the detailed file, it appears they still didn't resolve the strange alley issue with this attempt. The picture above is a bit misleading, appears they are still going to have a redundant duplicate driveway access to 33rd adjacent to the ramp from the taller building to the west. Apparently no one can figure out how to reverse a garbage truck in Marda Loop!

Another decent retail pickup for Marda Loop, continues Marda's strange downtown corporate chain preferred second location streak. Not an overly interesting bar, but rooftop patio will be nice.

Looking at the detailed file, it appears they still didn't resolve the strange alley issue with this attempt. The picture above is a bit misleading, appears they are still going to have a redundant duplicate driveway access to 33rd adjacent to the ramp from the taller building to the west. Apparently no one can figure out how to reverse a garbage truck in Marda Loop!
What moron in mobility engineering required two curb cuts onto a Main Street when the lane configuration could've provided the neccessary vehicular access? Or is this first submission on DP (pre-DTR1) that the applicant submitted?
1704410321902.png

Red entrance is the dead end lane that could be maintained but the blue side by side entrances would be entirely redundant with a hammerhead design somewhere on the lane:
1704410583914.png

Centrals Taps is a nice add, and the materials are nice, but no way this should move forward with this many curb cuts along a Main Street. The planners who are working on Main Streets policies should fight mobility on access for this block or they will be compromising the main street improvements happening.

Last edited:

Back