Blackfoot Multi-Family | 14m | 4s | Cedarglen | NORR

MichaelS

Member Bio
Reaction score
The development permit for the Blackfoot Trail mobile home site has been submitted. It isn't the most urban project, but it is relatively inner-city and a significant site and a larger scale project, so I figured I would create a thread for it.

1726165002000.png

1726165109592.png

1726165025060.png

1726165051210.png

1726165076869.png

1726165144538.png

1726165175652.png

1726165198844.png

1726165217450.png

I am not someone who usually thinks developments lack parking, but I think that is an undersized visitor parking lot. There are going to be fights over these spots.

This place is not near transit, not near street parking (or connected to the street grid at all), 100% residential, and is surrounded by a ton of green space and car oriented development. It is sandwiched between Blackfoot and Deerfoot. I think the bikes and pedestrians in the rendering are just wishful thinking - nobody is going to be passing through here; this is where your trip starts or ends.

They also seem to have removed the pedestrian bridge over Blackfoot Trail?

It's pretty ho hum, but considering where it's located, I guess it's not a bad use of the land.

It's going to be a 100% auto-dependent neighborhood. The bike path shown on the eastern side of the development has nowhere to go. There's a pedestrian bridge, but won't work for bikes. There doesn't appear to be any bus routes past there either.
1726170124999.png

The walk to the nearest store is doable, but an awkward one.
1726170291876.png

Last edited:
It appears to be missing from the rendering, and replaced with a T intersection? Or maybe I missed it.
I was wondering the same thing. I was wondering the bridge is gone now?

Edit: I see the streetview date is from August 2024, so it's probably still there, but maybe there a plans for a new bridge? IDK. Would be nice to have a new bridge that can used by both pedestrians and bikes.

The pedestrian bridge is currently there, but will be removed for this project. Blackfoot Trail has 3 northbound lanes south of the bridge, and 3 northbound lanes north of the bridge, but only 2 at the bridge, because the bridge is in the way. The bridge will be removed to facilitate the full 3 northbound lanes, and also to facilitate a proper signalized intersection to access this development (and the west leg will be to access the park on the west side). Pedestrians will now be accommodated by having a painted, signalized cross-walk.

Calgary Transit route 106 does operate on this section of Blackfoot Trail. A stop will be provided at this new signalized intersection. If you lived here, you could catch the bus to/from Southland C-Train station.

For the land that it is on, you cant really do too much I suppose. Good to see some density in that area and add more housing.

Better than before, but what a weird car dependent enclave this will be. The closest development from Meadows Mile doesn't even have a sidewalk right now, wondering how that will factor into this proposal.

Interesting one. In one sense it's fairly central, but on the other hand it's connectivity to nearby things is abysmal. It's under 1km measuring in a straight line distance to Deerfoot Meadows with 4 grocery stores, the Bow River pathway park system and half a dozen schools. Good luck walking to any of those things - although the signalized intersection will help (the eventual signal timing that will take 5 minutes to get a chance to cross Blackfoot will not).

Also, trying to place this development I discovered something that is new to me when I thought about how someone who lives here would walk to the nearby Bow River parks. Super weird at-grade and pedestrian tunnel connection across the ramp with Southland Drive and the southbound exit to Deerfoot. Never seen this type of approach before.

1726262243822.png

The painted line multi-use pathway goes to the stairs, however the bicycle route goes the other way. It's installed backwards.
1726262321707.png

For some reason, this ramp is alone in that it has a cross-walk but also no indication that you are suppose to yield to pedestrians. This is the only cross-walk I have seen that doesn't also have a big pedestrian walkings sign:
1726262519143.png

I wonder what the story is here? I didn't think you could have a crosswalk without a sign?

As you mentioned, the crossing doesn't appear to have been intended for pedestrians. If you travel backwards down the ramp, there is a bicycle crossing sign. If you go back in time on the street view, it looks like it was installed in 2014-15 to cater to the cyclists who were cutting across that way (you can see bike tracks in 2014 in the mud)

1000027526.png

With a pathway connection you could walk or bike to Ikea or Walmart. 😂

That hill behind has some really nice native ecology on it too. Built-In "park" space and natural area, well-connected by car and could be decently connected by bike with some work.

The edge of Acadia that interfaces with Blackfoot would be prime for some further densification and maybe a few commercial units.

Last edited:

Back