Highland Park Redevelopment | ?m | 15s | Maple Projects Inc.

Surrealplaces

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Vancouver based Maple Developments is proposing to develop a multi building commercial/residential project on the former highland Park golf course. The proposal includes 26 buildings ranging from 2 storey buildings, to four of the buildings at 18 storeys. The total number of units for the development is 2,100 units.

Highland Park .jpg

HP Central Park.jpg
HP Centre Green.jpg
HP Slope Adpative Housing.jpg

Images from reimagining.ca

Attachments

• HP Central Park.jpg
    HP Central Park.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 762
  • HP Centre Green.jpg
    HP Centre Green.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 682
  • HP Slope Adpative Housing.jpg
    HP Slope Adpative Housing.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 681
  • Highland Park .jpg
    Highland Park .jpg
    375.1 KB · Views: 888
I knew nothing about this project until seeing this thread. I actually played on this course once. Which is really rare because I hate golf. It seemed at the time like it's in a nice area though. I imagine it still is. This looks like a very interesting project and will probably tie in nicely with the vision for Centre Street between McKnight and 20th Ave N. Any word on when holes begin to be dug and when foundations are poured and in what order, with 26 buildings?

No word yet as it's still in initial stages, but I suspect with the market the way it is, it might not be right away. Also some residents of the area are opposed to the scale of the towers.

I would classify myself as a Yimby, but I'm a bit sceptical of the 4 x 18 floor towers. It seems like a lot of density in a small area.

Is this in your neck of the woods? I can't say I'm in that area of the city particularly often. I don't remember there being much in the way of elevation in that area as it stands. It might be an additional burden on the morning commute, but based on this video from the city that will be the least of any driver's problems. The whole route on Centre between McKnight and 20th Ave will be reduced to one lane in either direction eventually. This sounds like exactly the kind of density the city is after for the area, but with a train maybe it won't be so burdensome.

Wow, that's a massive project given the area. I don't recall there being much land there, but I'd have to see it again to get a better idea. 18 storey towers would be like the first two University City towers. I'm okay with the height, but 4 of them is excessive IMO.

Is this in your neck of the woods? I can't say I'm in that area of the city particularly often. I don't remember there being much in the way of elevation in that area as it stands. It might be an additional burden on the morning commute, but based on this video from the city that will be the least of any driver's problems. The whole route on Centre between McKnight and 20th Ave will be reduced to one lane in either direction eventually. This sounds like exactly the kind of density the city is after for the area, but with a train maybe it won't be so burdensome.

I hadn't heard this before. Is this after the north part of the green line is finished?

I hadn't heard anything along those lines until watching that video either. It seems that the plan is for it to operate almost like a street car along that stretch. The train and its platforms will occupy the middle of the road, followed by a single lane of traffic on either side followed by widened sidewalks. If the plan goes through as the video states that whole whack of centre street looks to be up for rezoning and redevelopment as 2-3 storey commercial. There's probably a tonne of property that is going to be purchased and demolished as a result. Suffice it to say big changes are under way for the area and this project will only be one of them.

Here's a still from that presentation. This is their vision for this stretch of Centre. 1 lane of traffic, wide medians to make room for turning lanes and platforms and wide side walks are all apparent.

Edit: It reminds me a lot of how the roads in Amsterdam around the Museumplein and Concertgebouw are laid out.

Station Vision.png

Attachments

• Station Vision.png
    Station Vision.png
    999.8 KB · Views: 952
Last edited:

Fairly close to where I live. Extra traffic wouldn't bother me, but that's a lot of units for that area. Maybe the area is bigger than I think is? I would actually enjoy the towers being tall, as I would probably see them from where I live and they'd make a nice back drop ;-) They just might be too tall for the surrounding area.

I like the fact that there's a planned train station right nearby. Might help reduce that traffic burden.

I hadn't heard anything along those lines until watching that video either. It seems that the plan is for it to operate almost like a street car along that stretch. The train and its platforms will occupy the middle of the road, followed by a single lane of traffic on either side followed by widened sidewalks. As the plan goes through as the video states that whole whack of centre street looks to be up for rezoning and redevelopment as 2-3 storey commercial. There's probably a tonne of property that is going to be purchased and demolished as a result. Suffice it to say big changes are under way for the area and this project will only be one of them.

Here's a still from that presentation. This is their vision for this stretch of Centre. 1 lane of traffic, wide medians to make room for turning lanes and platforms and wide side walks are all apparent.

Edit: It reminds me a lot of how the roads in Amsterdam around the Museumplein and Concertgebouw are laid out.

View attachment 70551

Totally like Amsterdam. Also reminds me of Melbourne the way the St Kilda is laid out. Thanks for posting that!

Wow, that is a different look for Centre Street. Which intersection would that be?

Haha, I bet no one say this thread being such a hot topic off the bat. We should probably move the discussion to a thread that Surrealplaces set up to discuss the centre street corridor.

I've replied to you there.

I'm glad that they are doing something with the land, but 2,000+ units is *alot* Does anyone else think that's a high number?

I think it's a high number myself. I'm not against the development there, but wonder if that is too many units. It could also be that the developer is going for a heavy number with the expectation that it will be reduced as the process go along.

Really happy to see the proposal of 4 towers with this project. Calgary definitely lags behind other major Canadian cities with respect to tower density outside of the core neighbourhoods.

Back