Green Line LRT | ?m | ?s | Calgary Transit

Sweet! The demolition of Eau Clare and construction of the subway station should coincide nicely with the grand opening of the new Eau Clare plaza. There is zero doubt that Harvard is going to continue to sit on this land and it will basically be a carbon copy of Westbrook.

I can picture it now...You climb up from the depths of the subway and are greeted by a modern glass and steel cube that pokes out from under the cracked, sun-baked earth like an exposed diamond desperately trying to dig itself out of it's million-year long slumber. Make-shift pathways criss cross the barren land in all directions like the veins on a leaf. To the west, a beautiful concrete rectangle beckons you to come a little closer. A lonely tree, no taller than an NBA player, gently dances in the wind-swept wasteland, while the many brittle, skeletal remains of its family stand watch nearby. You desperately look for something to eat. To the south lies the plains of DT, a flat barren zone devoid of life. In the distance lies a majetic wall of glass mountains that rise abruptly from the ground proving almost impenetrable. The east seems promising, with tiny rays of light poking out from concrete towers, you assume there is some type of life living in those burrows. As you get closer though, you realize it is a restricted access zone. You do not have the credentials to enter this facility, nor do they offer anything to the outside world. Your last hope is to go north. You decide to use a broom finished, suburban sidewalk pathway to make your way north and discover a beautiful lagoon and river! An uninspiring bridge greets you, and as you cross over it, you enter a beautiful tree covered oasis. You made it out of the apocalypse! The only problem is, you are still hungry....

Last edited:
My thoughts are the same. This will sit as a barren gravel, weed infested wasteland for at least another decade. Seeing the talking head from Harvard video conferencing with Global from what looked like a generic Costco desk didn't inspire a ton of hope. They made sure to say this would take years to build.

Man, no optimism on here about the EC
C-Train station & market redevelopment.
Not saying you’re wrong but was hoping for a less depressing reaction. 😄

One thing this forum has taught me is that if you want something done, do it yourself.

When I move later this year I will be applying to my city commissions as a volunteer resident.

Man, no optimism on here about the EC
C-Train station & market redevelopment.
Not saying you’re wrong but was hoping for a less depressing reaction. 😄
Between Harvard's track record which consists mainly of building a handful of forgettable office buildings in Regina and the Green Line's projected finish of 2072, there isn't much reason to be optimistic.

Honestly, I'd rather see the mall stay until the Green Line is u/c or Harvard actually plans to build something.

Between Harvard's track record which consists mainly of building a handful of forgettable office buildings in Regina and the Green Line's projected finish of 2072, there isn't much reason to be optimistic.

Honestly, I'd rather see the mall stay until the Green Line is u/c or Harvard actually plans to build something.

I've said it before and I will say it again - Harvard Developments, if you are reading this, please consider selling this site to CMLC or Truman

To be fair Q2 2024 is when construction is supposed to start, and the mall will have to go to dig out the station.

I've always been really curious how 2nd St SW was chosen, and why it has never been reconsidered when seeking cost reductions (though 10 vs 11 vs 12 Ave and grade has always had a lot more discussion). I have a sad feeling that the reasoning is as simple as 'it wouldn't lose any traffic lanes', but I've always thought 1st St SW had a ton of advantages over 2nd St.

I've never been able to find any reports on the early days of deciding the N-S downtown alignment...does anyone know if these options were ever public? Can anyone tell me why they are taking the challenge of tunnelling under the Lewis Stationary building and ripping an eyesore through PIP when 1st St looks so much easier/cheaper?

This is another interesting alternative; not sure if it was ever considered seriously. I think missing the beltline would be a big loss, but they offer some other strong arguments (and we're barely touching the beltline as it is)

I assume 2 St SW is more centrally located and was selected before the NCLRT was combined with the SE and no longer branching off the blue line to run up Nose Creek.

1674260574212.png

2nd St was a compromise. At the time the alignment was being considered the City did a study that showed the highest concentration of jobs downtown was along 4th St and so that was seen as the ideal alignment to put transit riders closest to the bulk of the jobs. Once 4th St was chosen as the ideal alignment they started looking at soil conditions for tunneling and they realized 4th St was going to be extremely problematic and so 2nd St was chosen as it was the furthest west they could get the alignment without creating a large construction risk due to soil conditions.

2nd St was a compromise. At the time the alignment was being considered the City did a study that showed the highest concentration of jobs downtown was along 4th St and so that was seen as the ideal alignment to put transit riders closest to the bulk of the jobs. Once 4th St was chosen as the ideal alignment they started looking at soil conditions for tunneling and they realized 4th St was going to be extremely problematic and so 2nd St was chosen as it was the furthest west they could get the alignment without creating a large construction risk due to soil conditions.
And yet the soil conditions are still prettty bad.

Back