Green Line LRT | ?m | ?s | Calgary Transit

The only one I'm interested in at all is the "structure above deck" one. The other two should ball balled up, thrown in a dumpster, and burned. Not to say that the acceptable one is any prize either though.

I wonder what the gradient is. Been thinking a lot about whether could get it to 5.5 m above the road surface.

Eyeballing the elevations and distances from plans presented in the 2015 "North Central LRT Corridor Study", may be 3.5%-4% depending on how long the bridge is.

1614054346883.png

If they're committed PT concrete, the minimal look is one of the most refined. I'd prefer a steel bridge instead, look at the new Cherry St. Bridge in Toronto:

1614113171126.png

Either way, piers should be kept out of the water no matter what. More generally, I don't like idea of a bridge over Prince's Island, but I can't think of any better ideas to cross the river from Eau Claire.

A stargate at the north end of Eau Claire Station and a gate at the south end of 9 Avenue Station? The perfect bridge.

FreeVictoriousHackee-small.gif

But then we run the risk of catastrophe 🤔🤔🤔

BareLankyCrossbill-max-14mb.gif

A stargate at the north end of Eau Claire Station and a gate at the south end of 9 Avenue Station? The perfect bridge.

But then we run the risk of catastrophe 🤔🤔🤔

That actually gave me an idea lol. Could run the train underneath the Centre St. Bridge where the 2 traffic lanes exist. It'd require strengthening and a relocation of the Eau Claire station to somewhere like 3rd Ave 1st SW, but it's doable.

That actually gave me an idea lol. Could run the train underneath the Centre St. Bridge where the 2 traffic lanes exist. It'd require strengthening and a relocation of the Eau Claire station to somewhere like 3rd Ave 1st SW, but it's doable.

Using the Centre Street bridge was one of the options looked at in the past, but in 2016 when money was no concern, they went with the deep tunnel. In 2019 when it became impossible to even reach Shepard with $5B, they had to resort to the second worst option (only ahead of elevated through downtown) probably because it was the only they could (potentially) afford. And yeah, the station would likely have been at 3rd Ave.

1614149530010.png

Looking at that makes me nauseous. 😰

Looking at that makes me nauseous. 😰
It may be ugly, but it still scored higher than the current option of the new bridge. Centre Street got two checks for Fiscal Capacity and Sustainable Development, while the new bridge (plus running at grade south of 16th Ave) option only got one for Fiscal Capacity. Both got strikes for Community Well-being, Transportation, Urban and Neighborhood Development, Feasibility+Deliverability and Stakeholders.

If I remember correctly the problem with putting the line on the Centre Street Bridge was that it would take up two and a half of the four lanes and would as a result require the bridge to be widened
Isn't the at grade on Centre option doing the same thing with Center Street to the north? If so, why would the bridge need to be widened, if those lanes are being removed already on Center Street long before the bridge?

Isn't the at grade on Centre option doing the same thing with Center Street to the north? If so, why would the bridge need to be widened, if those lanes are being removed already on Center Street long before the bridge?
I think Centre Street N is wider than the bridge is today. If not it can easily be widened no?

Centre street north is the same width as Centre Street bridge, at least up to 40th ave area. I can be widened easier than the bridge of course, but doesn't have a lot of extra space until you get past 20th ave.

Back