Green Line LRT | ?m | ?s | Calgary Transit

Good news for sure. I'm still anxious to see how they do the downtown portion. IMO, they need to spend the money and put it underground. Do it right the first time, although i will admit that the renderings of the elevated portion look better than I expected.

Everything I've seen seems to suggest that the underground portion from at least between 20th Ave & Centre N and the station that will be on 10th, 11th or 12th is pretty mch set. It just hasn't received any kind of official asent yet. Whether it's burried between Heisenberg's Beltline Station and Olympic way hasn't been commented on officially. My hope is that they're leaning towards a tunnel there too.

This is the first sign of life I've really seen from the Green Line project basically since the beginning of summer. The City of Calgary has opened an online survey similar to the one they did for Olympic Park a couple of months ago for the park of the Greenline that goes through Crescent Heights and Tuxedo. The questions seem pretty geared to residents, but I think they're looking to take opinions from everyone. If you're interested in contributing, here's the link.

Apart from that, it looks like the city has some public information events for Ramsay and the Beltline mid month. I've never been to one of these, but if they have anything concrete to say about the Beltline plans I'd be all ears.

Big Edit:

After some additional digging I've found another nugget! :D

Option D, underground from the Beltline to 20th Ave N, is going to be officially recommended to council by the Greenline Project Team.

The Beltline stretch from 2ns Street SW to 4th Street SE still looks to be open to dicussion. As long as they pick an option with a tunnel, I'm for it. I think I prefer 10th Ave, but if they're tunnelling it wouldn't burn me if they went with 11th Ave or 12th Ave either. There is apparently an elevated option for 10th only.

Last edited:
I could have saved us all a few more bucks by telling you 10 years ago that it was the best route (and that NC and SE lrts ought to be one in the same), but I suppose that wouldn't have been democratic.

ROFL! I'll bet you could have.

I just know that if someone with dictatorial powers had picked the route we would have been stuck with a surface line all the way along. And the plan would have been to minimize the number of traffic lanes.

Last edited:
I wish Calgary had put the other lines underground through downtown. I know some people say having it on the surface was the right way to go, and they have a case for that argument, but still, it would be nice to have it all underground downtown.

^ Having 2 lines below (red and green) and 1 above (blue) ought to work for everyone.

The key thing I am hoping for the new underground stations is integration with surrounding retail and between lines. Hopefully we follow the Japanese style of station rather than the typical NYC, Toronto, London, or Paris station. My expectation, however, is very, very low.

Many European and a few American stations do it well too. All I'm looking for is a seamless integration with built form, retail, and pedestrian corridors in all 4 compass directions in 3 dimensions. Too much to ask?

Here's a quick link to give you an idea of what metro stations are like in many parts of the world - "station" is synonymous with "mall", even in distant suburbs and smaller cities:
http://web-japan.org/trends/09_lifestyle/lif110120.html

What I (cynically) expect we'll get is a concrete stair and tunnel with only 1 or 2 entrances. Really, a station under 2nd St between 7th and 9th Ave could have as many as 12 entrance (or 6 split entrances), and direct connections to the future 8th Ave subway, 7th Ave ctrain corridor, CORE shopping, and possibly interior connections to other private properties. AND, the corridor and platforms should enable retail, food vendors, buskers, and public art. This really ought be the model for a future downtown stations (especially GreenLine Eau Claire, Green Stephen Ave, Red 5th St, Red 2nd Ave, Red Olympic Plaza - speculating on station names) and any future TOD projects. Imagine restaurants, shops, fitness facilities/gyms, daycares, and office lobbies right at the edge of the platform. And, most importantly, unimpeded connection from one mode of travel to another in any direction.

One reason I really like the way 7th Ave is set up is that there are no barriers (stairs, doors, tunnels, turnstiles, narrow corridors) to access the platform. But while it's easy for an at-grade station to blend seamlessly with the city, Calgarians might not realize some of the problems that commonly irk the success of underground stations (crowds, minutes added to commutes waiting in lines, poor ventilation, poor handicap access, poor lines of vision, perception of danger, poor lighting, poor pedestrian environments at grade, etc).

We've learned a lot since Toronto opened its subway in 1954 (and expanded in 1966); London's Tube has been a work in progress since 1863, Paris's Metro since 1900, and NYC Subway since 1904. Other cities hold Paris, NYC, and London as examples of successful metropolises - and there are many admirable things about these cities - but technology, design, and democratic capitalism has changed a lot since these systems were built. Calgary was right to build an at-grade LRT in the '80s, rather than trying to be Montreal or Toronto. Now that the benefits of grade separation are beginning to outweigh the cost of cut-and-cover in Calgary, it's only natural that Calgary build a subway, but let's build one for 2050, not 1950. Yes, it could be a lot of work and innovation for zoning (a la bonus density) and persuading adjacent properties to buy in, but having a plan and regulations developers can count on would be a start. It would be especially great if we figured this out before the 2nd Brookfield tower is built, if it's not too late already.

All this flexibility, integration, and access is made easier by Calgary's free fare zone and progressive honour-system boarding. Let's lead, not follow.

Last edited:

Back