News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

General Construction Updates

Well the Westbrook redevelopment was suppose to be implemented over the course of 20-30 years and seeing that its already been 10 years and nothing has been done, I'd expect things it to start taking off in the next 5 years or so. I think the recession really froze Currie and Westbrook developments but in 5 years I can see our economy and population growing again at a rate enough to encourage some highrise activity on these sites. Hopefully its sooner.

That's disappointing, that area should be getting better urban style development. On a side note, that location was never the same once Joey's hamburgers closed...

That's disappointing, that area should be getting better urban style development. On a side note, that location was never the same once Joey's hamburgers closed...
Yup Joey's was good.

I saw a sign that Olive chicken was closing and I was hoping it would be a small development similar to 741.

East Village shot.

Image48.jpg

Source: https://www.instagram.com/mikemaciaszek/

Attachments

• Image48.jpg
    Image48.jpg
    333.4 KB · Views: 328
So University District now has on the way...

6 storey Rhapsody (residential/retail)
7 storey August (residential/retail)
15 storey Alt Hotel
4 storey Cambridge Manor (senior residence)
4 storey Noble (residential)
3 storey Ivy (residential)
and the ? storey Maple (active senior residence)

Not a bad start in a fairly short time. Man, it's taking off EV style! :)

Is it me or Alt-hotels tend to have really ugly designs. They all seem so bulky and outdated, mainly due to the lack of glass. Kind of reminds of something from Soviet Russia. I really hope they don't screw this one up, 15 stories can make or break the view of University district.

Is it me or Alt-hotels tend to have really ugly designs. They all seem so bulky and outdated, mainly due to the lack of glass. Kind of reminds of something from Soviet Russia. I really hope they don't screw this one up, 15 stories can make or break the view of University district.

Lol wut?

Saskatoon
BYVgZee.jpg

Calgary
ALT+2016.jpg

St. John's
ALT-HOTEL.jpg

Winnipeg
althotel.jpg

and then the rest are airport hotels, so yeah, they're probably gonna be (and are) ugly. But as seen in their four central urban examples, ordered newest to oldest, that their designs have improved each time they design a new one. Obviously it remains to be seen if that will happen with the University District location, but I believe we have more reason to be hopeful than concerned. All of Alt's ugly designs are for airport hotels only.

I do agree that the tallest tower in the University District being of a shitty design could hurt the neighbourhood, but I honestly think having Group Germain at the helm of that is a good thing, considering the typical dumpster fire high-rise designs that our suburbs usually see. #endrunonsentence

The materials is where those all fall short, the design is good, but it just comes off as cheap. Le Germain (just the hotel portion) here is the level they should strive for, the materials make that hotel.

Back