News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Calgary Flames Official Thread

Since December 7th the top 3 NHL records are the Jets at 14-1-2, Canucks 12-2-2 and Oilers 12-3
Flames are 8-6-2 over that span.
One positive of late is Huberdeaus improved play, he's looked good playing with Lindholm and Sharangovich
Edmonton is 17-3 in their last 20 games - absolute madness. It would be nice to think of a re-match of a battle of Alberta come spring (one can dream!)

Another battle of Alberta would be nice, especially if the Oilers go on a hot streak now, but cool off later once teams are more familiar with the new Oilers and their systems, or their goaltending goes back to what it usually is - while at the same time Calgary gets on a hot streak going into the playoffs. I'd like to see the Oilers finish with a strong record, but cool off near the end of the season with the Flames upsetting them in a playoff round.

It's funny how quickly we can go from "this team is crap" to "maybe we'll sneak into the playoffs?"

At the end though it's not a bad thing if we don't make it in this year. There is a bit of positivity going into the second half of the season and the offseason. Kylington looks like he's coming back soon, Huberdeau's game appears to be coming back, Zary has continued his great rookie season, etc.

Flames have 2 months to decide whether to sign or trade players. If Lindhold, Hanifin and / or Tanev are gone, that will be all the wind gone from their sails. Lots of speculation about trading Markstrom now too. I definitely, 100% do not want to see that. We would get a great return, but Marky is a great mentor for younger guys. Not sure Vladar has much trade value, and Wolf will need to be in the league next year if we don't want to lose him so tough decisions.

that will be all the wind gone from their sails
I'm not so sure about this...

Things with this team are bound to change before March 8 (trade deadline). I'd say, outside of Tanev, if you're a UFA and you don't have a contract by that day you will be traded but the flames could remain competitive before and even after that. There's also a glut of talent at the AHL level looking to get their NHL shot. I assume the flames will want to avoid putting too many of their current roster players on waivers so outside of Kylington and Pelletier we'll have to wait for trades to see the other AHL guys on the big club. You cannot discount the energy and naivety of young guys going into your lineup, they want a long term job and their effort won't really fall off even if the chances of making the playoffs are slim.

I was very pessimistic but I have to say that I'm enjoying watching flames hockey again, it is exciting. Huge credit to Huska for taking what was relatively the same lineup from earlier in the year and sticking with it. Players also deserve credit for trusting the process.

Last edited:
Flames are 2 points out of the last wildcard now, I think they have a legit chance to make it. They have erased their goal differential and are improving the PP quite noticeably. What a strange season and what a strange position the team is in...
Next two games will be a good indicator of the teams current potential

Next two games will be a good indicator of the teams current potential
Last two seasons are a good indicator of the teams potential, which is probably 3 home playoff games at best.

Keep Weegar and Backlund, you can't trade Huberdeau and Kadri, and the rest of the roster should be whoever comes up from the Wranglers. Few teams have as good a chance to do a full tear-it-down rebuild; there are so many contracts ending at the same time, we have good tradable players at every position -- Markstrom should be worth a fortune alone. The GM has job security and has already promised to not let contracts expire, and the market deserves to have an actual competitive team, not a finish-8th-and-hope-for-luck one. But management clearly wants not only the billion dollars of public arena money, they want those three home playoff games worth of beer sales, so I expect nothing but a couple more decades of mediocrity.

Flames are 2 points out of the last wildcard now, I think they have a legit chance to make it. They have erased their goal differential and are improving the PP quite noticeably. What a strange season and what a strange position the team is in...
It's possible if they keep on the path they've been going. After being 2-7-2 at one point, they've gone 19-11-3 since then (now 21-18-5). They just have to keep it going.

At this point you keep Coleman and Yegor too, they’ve been playing out of there minds

Top 5 in goals so far this month (NHL):
  1. Elias Petterson (10)
  2. Sam Reinhart (10)
  3. Matthew Tkachuk (7)
  4. Blake Coleman (7)
  5. Yegor Sharangovich (7)
I’ll be honest I didn’t like the Sharangovich trade at first but it’s looking better every day.
lIf we get younger as a team he’s a great piece to have along side some young guns.

I’d also like to see Vladar traded over Marky even given that Marky has the higher trade value. Unless you get an offer you cannot refuse he stays purely for the job of working with Wolf to get him acclimated to the NHL, he’s an excellent person to have as a leader and mentor for him, and imo you need it to ensure Wolf develops into what we all know he can be (hopefully our next kipper).

Last edited:

Back