News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Calgary Flames Official Thread

The Oilers, despite their record will be a tough one. They always come to play hard against the Flames, and to boot, they are playing better lately, ever since Hitch took over.

Nice win for the Flames tonight. I was pulling out my hair earlier when they were trailing. Flyers had no business being in the game, but were still ahead anyways. Nobody can say the Flames big boys aren't delivering this season.

Normally I'm a jinx for the Flames. Every-time I turn on a game the other team scores, last night for the first time this season, they were the ones scoring, as they scored those two late ones right after I turned on the TV.

Gotta say, that first line is something else.

Flames have not been great in the last 3. Only 5 goals in 3 games, and grabbing 1 point out of a possible 6. What's worse is that the two losses are against mediocre western teams - meaning they're games we should've won, and needed to win to stay ahead.

I will say the Tampa game was a solid effort vs a very difficult team, and I'm content with getting 1 point out of Tampa, but the other two games were pretty hard to watch.
Hopefully Christmas break will give us the time we need to fix ourselves. Our schedule's not too hard in January (in the next 14 games I'd say we only face 5-6 good teams), so hopefully we can turn this brief stretch of mediocrity around.

It's probably just fantasy talk, but I've heard some people talking about a possible trade for Tarasenko to the Flames if the Blues decide to blow themselves up. What do you guys think? Personally I wouldn't mind it, but Neal would almost certainly have to go the other way for salary cap and roster reasons. We'd obviously be giving up more than just Neal in that trade too. Might be a smart trade deadline pickup if we're still atop the Pacific tho. Personally I'd rather think about trading for a really solid goalie, we have a great, young forward and D group right now but a sub-par starter and inexperienced (but excellent so far) backup in net. Imo if we had a Gibson or a Bobrovsky or something, we'd be cup contenders.

That's more like it! Flames beat Winnipeg 4-1, we're 1 point shy of best in the west yet again.
Johnny deserved that hatty, played great, it's crazy he's only had 4 so far. Shame he had to get slashed hard in the process. Another great win, Rittich is other-worldly. If anyone had any doubts about him being the starter, they should be long gone. Winnipeg's my 2nd favorite team so I love when these two titans meet, this would be an epic WCF matchup. Here's to hoping.

Great to see them get a win against a division rival who's been hot. This definitely isn't the Flames team of last year, I'm still soaking in the fact that they can score goals in bunches. Of course I probably just jinxed them and they'll lose against the Wings.

I was at the San Jose game, best game I've ever been to. Lots of people wanted Bennett's head after that hit, looked clean to me maybe a tiny bit late. What bugs me is that Dell got nothing for that vicious two-handed lumberjack spear on Bennett's midsection. Bennett didn't have the puck, wasn't in the blue paint, just strolling by. Ref was 15ft away, looking at it and made no call. That probably led to all the violence later on, and the Bennett hit for sure. When refs don't do their jobs, players have to do it for them.

You didn't jinx the game against the wins Cowtown, but the first got a little scary haha. Glad to see we were able to overcome things, Smith was alright, made some big saves. Gaudreau now has 8 points in his last 2 games. Ridiculous. Lindholm was stellar too.

In other news, the all star teams were announced today, and I'm not a happy camper. Despite 6 Flames (Rittich, Gaudreau, Lindholm, Giordano, Monahan, Tkachuk) probably being worthy of All-Star team nomination, a grand total of one got in. 3 Sharks got in. I understand it's a hometown thing, but ... why? If you want to make a hometown game, make a hometown game. Who cares who's hosting. The rules of the all-star game in its current state dictate that at least 1 player from each team has to be nominated. Hometown fans will have someone to cheer for either way. It's an all-star game. It's supposed to celebrate the best of the best. IMO Pavelski is not an all-star, and Karlsson until recently has been playing quite poorly. 5 Flames players are on pace for over 80 points, 2 are on pace for over 100. Tkachuk, Lindholm, and Rittich have all had MAJOR breakout seasons, and Giordano is playing at a Norris level. The league needs to make up their mind. They call it an all-star game but don't bring the all-stars. That's my view on that.

Hopefully some people bow out (Ovi already has), and I would think a Flame should be first in line to sub in.

Allstar picks are tough with so many teams, especially when the league insists on having a player from each team. Monahan moved into 9th place in the scoring list after tonight's game, you would think he would have a shot at getting in if some players opt out or get injured. but it's a crowd on the outside looking in. Mitch Marner who's 6th in scoring didn't make it in.

Another win for the Flames, who now sit alone in 2nd place in the league. It wasn't long ago I was still wondering if they were going to make the playoffs. Today after 44 games they have 58 points. I think 95 points will be the cutoff, so the Flames have 38 games left to get 37 points. seems very doable. I'm officially entertaining thoughts of the playoffs in 2019.

How about that Johnny? Two more goals, now puts him 3rd in league for points and goals.

Yeah, it's seems pretty likely we're going to the playoffs this year, and exciting to think about possible matchups. Though they won last night, they looked sluggish and rusty. Hopefully they pick up the pace fore the rest of this home stand.

Assuming the point mark is 95, the Flames would now need 35 points in 37 games.

Back