First & Park | 75m | 18s | Graywood

The mullions would make a great Saturday Night Live sketch.

The second floor is cheap window wall with lots of spandrel glass. I hope for much better for the rest of the tower is this a terrible standard so far. The global standard is exponentially higher than this. What does the world think when they come to many of our cities. Probably not promising.

Taken a couple days ago.

IMG_0176_river.jpg

The mullions would make a great Saturday Night Live sketch.

The second floor is cheap window wall with lots of spandrel glass. I hope for much better for the rest of the tower is this a terrible standard so far. The global standard is exponentially higher than this. What does the world think when they come to many of our cities. Probably not promising.
What is the global standard these days? I spent three weeks in Europe travelling different cities and none of the apartment buildings I saw u/c looked any better tbh. The newer low rise buildings were the same as what I’m seeing here.

What is the global standard these days? I spent three weeks in Europe travelling different cities and none of the apartment buildings I saw u/c looked any better tbh. The newer low rise buildings were the same as what I’m seeing here.

There's more continents than Europe. It's not going to change my view on the terribly low standards that has been completed at grade level here whether I'm off base on the comparative international standard.

Vancouver was making prettier buildings 5 years ago and Calgary is now fetching probably the same rental $/sq ft. that Vancouver was 5 years ago. And I'm assuming developers building today would've acquired land in Calgary dirt cheap during the economic downturn in the 2010s. Nothing but greed from developers to maximize profits. Sure material, labour, and interest costs have grown since then but I don't think it's enough to justify the difference in quality finish of many of our projects vs other major cities.

Last edited:
Vancouver was making prettier buildings 5 years ago and Calgary is now fetching probably the same rental $/sq ft. that Vancouver was 5 years ago. And I'm assuming developers building today would've acquired land in Calgary dirt cheap during the economic downturn in the 2010s. Nothing but greed from developers to maximize profits. Sure material, labour, and interest costs have grown since then but I don't think it's enough to justify the difference in quality finish of many of our projects vs other major cities.
The time lines don’t matter really, what matters is that in Vancouver units fetch 2-3 times the price so there’s more room for improved materials.

There's more continents than Europe. It's not going to change my view on the terribly low standards that has been completed at grade level here whether I'm off base on the comparative international standard.
There is literally zero point in comparing materials used on buildings here in Calgary to materials used in other countries. The economics are different for every country and even between cities here in Canada.
We’re in a free market economy, if people want to pay higher prices for better materials, they will but if they’re happy paying lower mortgages or rents for lesser materials that’s the way it is.

Outside of Europe or NA then, what is the global standard that this should be? Don't mention curtain wall, because that's happening, the economics don't make sense. It doesn't leave too many other options.

Back