News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.9K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.7K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.9K     0 

Calgary Field House | ?m | ?s City of Calgary |

In the end the problem is we don't have funds available for either the Field House or McMahon renovations. As for those costs estimates, can't just run those numbers using inflation. The Colorado construction cost index is up 90% over that time, and then you get that into canadian bucks. All of a sudden Dicks is $167 million. Add to that $64 million in non-stadium costs funded by the municipality - $164 million today. $331 million in total.
For the field house it would depend on the size and scope of it. We haven't seen an actual design, but a small field house could be built for the $150M that has been set aside - something like Gately House in Chicago ($55M in 2018), but maybe 5,000-8,000 seats instead of 3,500. I don't know what the city has in mind as a field house...an actual field house, or a small stadium., As soon as it becomes a small stadium, it's a completely different project, and I agree, we don't have the money. Ottawa, Regina, and Winnipeg all spent in the $300M range...a few years ago.

20180815_Gately_Indoor_Track_Boards__1_.0.jpg

For the field house it would depend on the size and scope of it. We haven't seen an actual design, but a small field house could be built for the $150M that has been set aside - something like Gately House in Chicago ($55M in 2018), but maybe 5,000-8,000 seats instead of 3,500. I don't know what the city has in mind as a field house...an actual field house, or a small stadium., As soon as it becomes a small stadium, it's a completely different project, and I agree, we don't have the money. Ottawa, Regina, and Winnipeg all spent in the $300M range...a few years ago.

20180815_Gately_Indoor_Track_Boards__1_.0.jpg
Really depends. IIRC the Calgary field house is targeting a full 400m track. Lots of field houses have ~200m tracks. Gately is a 200m track.

I think if we are going to spend money on the field house, it should be done right. Full 400-meter track, a full field in the center, room for a sandpit for jumping events, Seating for 5-10K, etc. If that was the case Calgary would be able to potentially try and bring in big World Athletics events.

I think if we are going to spend money on the field house, it should be done right. Full 400-meter track, a full field in the center, room for a sandpit for jumping events, Seating for 5-10K, etc. If that was the case Calgary would be able to potentially try and bring in big World Athletics events.
I think Calgary needs to be ambitious with it for your exact reasons. Make it the best possible venue for varsity, amateur, and public sports & recreation. It's been a big need for a long time, so might as well make the wait worth it.

Is the one outside at 400 meters? If this move gives more usage to the facility, and reduces the cost, it's a fair trade off. The outdoor track can still be used for drawing events in the summer if invested.

From the Live Wire article, and yes I know I might be beating a horse that's already dead (pardon the Stampeders pun) but doesn't the idea of segmenting the facility only increase the possibility of some kind of Calgary Next development?

It's not very hard to imagine a soccer/football field rather than a soccer field. and some stands over and around the Central Core and the Gymnasia and Courts. Throw in a Flames arena and community rink and pretty soon you've built something pretty spectacular.

Really looking forward to following this... the article concluded by saying, "An amenity refinement study is expected in June 2023." CAN'T WAIT!

1677783007155.png

If Calgary Next comes back on the table, then the City and CSEC (or some other group) need to seriously push for MLS expansion. Unfortunately, Calgary may have already missed the boat on expansion, unless MLS wants to expand beyond the 30-32 teams of other traditional NA leagues.

I wonder if there's a way to do a stadium where the first few rows of seats are able to retract over the running track? Similar to how the Saddledome can expand to host a European size hockey rink.

That way you wouldn't have to have the stands setback so far from the field like at Commonwealth.

I wonder if there's a way to do a stadium where the first few rows of seats are able to retract over the running track? Similar to how the Saddledome can expand to host a European size hockey rink.

That way you wouldn't have to have the stands setback so far from the field like at Commonwealth.
One thing to keep in mind with this is protecting the running track. But it seems like the field and track combination in one area ship has sailed... It can always come back to port though.

I truly feel like the stadium for the professional teams, and field house for amateur sports need to stay in their own lanes. If they were to go with the original CalgaryNEXT concept, I don't think you're getting the best for anyone in that scenario.

Foothills Fieldhouse should proceed as is no matter what. CalgaryNEXT, if it's to be resurrected, should have the stadium component focus solely on being a professional field sports and outdoor concert venue.

If Calgary Next comes back on the table, then the City and CSEC (or some other group) need to seriously push for MLS expansion. Unfortunately, Calgary may have already missed the boat on expansion, unless MLS wants to expand beyond the 30-32 teams of other traditional NA leagues.
MLS isn't going to expand into Canada anymore. The only reason Canada Soccer allowed MLS teams to exist in Canada was because there was no tier 1 national development league in the country. Now that the Canadian Premier league exists there's no reason for Canada Soccer to approve MLS to expand further into Canada. MLS is the American tier 1 development league and requires a certain percentage of a teams roster to be American born players.

Back