Calgary Event Centre | 36.85m | 11s | CSEC | HOK

Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 89 65.0%
  • No

Votes: 39 28.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 6.6%

• Total voters
I think a decent comparator would be the Milwaukee Bucks arena, but it is not the same shape.
new-arena-renderings-1170-clean.jpg

090519-Fiserv-Forum-sign-John-Eliot-1068x601.jpg

Hmmm interesting.. I’ll have to see the design before I can formulate any sort of opinion. Obvious they would go with that copper look as seen in every other stampede design so far.

Last edited:
I hope it’s not an organic shape like the toilet blob up north. I’d be fine with that Milwaukee stadium if the back side was flat and not curved into the roof.

Most arenas don't have great street activation, but it's all but guaranteed to be better than the street activation of the Saddledome. One thing that I never liked about the dome was the main entrance being raised significantly above grade. I'm assuming the new arena will have the entrances at grade which will be nice.

Do any arenas really have good street activation though?
Not really, but that doesn't mean they can't. Edmonton's was supposed to but was value-engineered out. On the flip-side, I think pedestrianization of the street level of this arena is being pushed hard by both CMLC and the City, because if its not activated, essentially the "entertainment district" is dead on arrival.

Not really, but that doesn't mean they can't. Edmonton's was supposed to but was value-engineered out. On the flip-side, I think pedestrianization of the street level of this arena is being pushed hard by both CMLC and the City, because if its not activated, essentially the "entertainment district" is dead on arrival.
The new BMO center doesn't exactly fill me with hope.....

Do any arenas really have good street activation though?
I like PNC Park in Pittsburgh (baseball, not hockey though...).

Some of the newer arenas and stadiums have done a much better job at street treatment. Along with PNC Park, others like Consol Energy Centre, Capital One Centre or Little Caesar's arena have a decent street frontage on at least one of the 4 sides of the arena. This is much better than the older arenas that were usually surrounded by a sea of parking stalls. In our case I suspect the main entrance and facade will face onto Olympic Way, and the other three sides will be mostly wall, except maybe there will be some street frontage facing 12th ave?

Aww I like some curves.

One of us is guaranteed to be happy. We just don’t know if it’s me or you yet.

I don’t mind curves now and then, but I want this thing to blow the thing in Edmonton out of the water, and no curves would eliminate any comparisons from the architecturally unwashed and uneducated up north.

Back