EV606 | 22m | 6s | Alston Properties | ATLRG

The steel is required for the cantilever. Brick is a heavy material. You can see transfer girders being installed for the overhang.

jafwojfowaojf.PNG

BTW, Here are the latest renders which I don't think have been posted yet. Instead of a blue brick pattern, they've opted for a much classier (IMO) protruding pattern similar to The Livery by MoDa.

EV_CRNRNORTHBB+copy.jpg
EV_FRONTBB.jpg
EV_ENTRY++STACK+-+BB.jpg
606_RIVER+RESTAURANT+-+BB.jpg
EV_MEWS+-+BB.jpg

Last edited:
Great picture - triggered a really dumb construction 101 question for me - for wood frame houses and apartments, does it ever matter that the wood frame is just out in the rain and snow until the building envelop is completed?

Water is obviously bad for wood, but I am assuming it's really only an issue when the wood can't dry out reasonably quickly like behind a finished wall?
Not a dumb question. It can matter, but brief exposure isn't a big deal - you just have to let it dry.

Most of the work in engineering a wall assembly is not about preventing anything getting wet, but making sure things are allowed to dry properly. It's why we calculate our dew points, use rainscreens, vapour and moisture barriers, etc. You don't ever try to prevent something from getting wet, because you will always fail. The exception is freshly poured concrete where you don't want to introduce additional water into the mix.

There will be some swelling and elongation in light frame, but that's reduced after a day or two drying.

Not a dumb question. It can matter, but brief exposure isn't a big deal - you just have to let it dry.

Most of the work in engineering a wall assembly is not about preventing anything getting wet, but making sure things are allowed to dry properly. It's why we calculate our dew points, use rainscreens, vapour and moisture barriers, etc. You don't ever try to prevent something from getting wet, because you will always fail. The exception is freshly poured concrete where you don't want to introduce additional water into the mix.

There will be some swelling and elongation in light frame, but that's reduced after a day or two drying.
Ah thanks for this. That's the part of the equation I was missing - goal to let things dry, not necessarily prevent things from getting wet.

Not sure how well it comes across in the photo but it appears the floorplan is designed around 2 parallel hallways with a divider in the middle. Not sure why they just wouldn't have 1 wider hallway? Seems like an odd design quirk.

View attachment 537543
Looks like they would have had to do that because of the dead end corridor condition. Max allowed is 20ft I believe for a dead end corridors

Is anyone familiar with the building code enough to comment on how these guys were able to use wood-framing for the commercial spaces? Typically this is done in concrete when there is residential above.

Is anyone familiar with the building code enough to comment on how these guys were able to use wood-framing for the commercial spaces? Typically this is done in concrete when there is residential above.
They used steel framing for the ground floor:
Wood flooring panels are being delivered and installed today. Is it a common technique to mix wood and steel construction like this?

View attachment 532032
And then this:
CLT Floor Panels have about a 2-hour rating, so long as they meet certain requirements (such as rules for the openings for conduit). In almost all cases, this will well exceed the fire rating of a sprinklered building of that size anyway.

In general, mass timber performs significantly better under fire than steel, and sometimes even concrete. It's counterintuitive, but as temperature increases steel loses strength - whereas in mass timber, once the protective char layer is achieved, the elements maintain strength much much longer.

The building code in Canada is moving towards incorporating this research as a more "performance-based" approach to fire, replacing the prescriptive approach of old. Expect to see much more exposed mass timber in the future.

Kinda surprised to see them laying OSB overtop of the prefab wood...
Subflooring, you probably wouldn't want to lay hardwood/tile directly on the CLT panels - the ceiling would remain exposed.

In non-residential applications I'd recommend a concrete topping, similar to steel decking. It would increase weight and embodied carbon, but likely give better noise/vibration performance.

Back