Crown Park | 11m | 3s | Brookfield

Especially since one side of the development faces Bow Trail, which would've been ideal for a couple apartment buildings, then step down into townhomes closer to the golf course.

Reminder of the original concept...😔

Screen+Shot+2022-11-21+at+9.01.39+AM.jpg

'Disappointment' is a terrific word to describe this project. These look like ski lodges along a BC mountain, completely out of place. That location was absolutely prime.... what a missed opportunity for something more elevated/elegant in design, presence and density.

It was owned by Silvera for Seniors, who zoned it to match the massing concept that SP posted. When the parcel was put up for sale, it was the dark days of our condo market (2017ish I think), so likely not many takers on it. Brookfield bought it, with the Crown Park concept in mind, because at the time the idea of trying to sell that many condos seemed impossible.

Eventually this will just be redeveloped again, how long that takes though...
Not for a really loooooong time. These units aren't cheap, and any potential developer would need to buy out the individual owners at a no doubt exorbitant price (their website has the cheapest units in the '700s). I suspect we will all be long gone before this gets redeveloped...

Unfortunately, this development is a poster child of the piss-poor job Calgary has done at proper planning around its LRT stations. My only hope is that they will do something a lot less shitty in their future phase in the SE corner (see their plan below from their website) but I'm not optimistic.

1727367815765.png

Back