News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Calgary Municipal Politics

Which mayoral candidate do you intend to vote for in 2021?

• Jeremy Farkas

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • Jyoti Gondek

Votes: 43 72.9%
  • Brad Field

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jan Damery

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • Jeff Davison

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I can't say I'm surprised. I thought he was a decent mayor and Calgary was lucky to have him.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/nenshi-mayor-election-announcement-1.5976892
Kind of hard to beat a leader with a Masters in Public Policy from Harvard. IMO Nenshi was a big game-changer for Calgary's reputation. The city went from being tagged a stereotypical "Redneck city" to a "Progressive City." I hope whoever is next, not named Farkas, carries the progressive momentum forward.

Wow, so there's a really good chance this city will go right down the poopshoot.
I think overall, things won't change much with the mayor being one vote on council, but definitely the city's reputation could change depending on who gets elected.

Right now it seems like a race between Farkas, who will get the vote of every right wing type, and Gondek, who should get lots from the left leaning side. There have been rumors of Jeff Davison running. He hasn't said he's running, but the rumors keep popping up. If he were to run, things would get very interesting, as he's kind of more in the middle.

It saddens me to see that Nenshi isn't running again :/, as gsunnyg said he did change Calgary's reputation, and that holds true. Ive lived in 3 different cities since he was elected and I've slowly watched peoples opinion of Calgary go from a redneck, oil loving, country city to a destination and progressive city that people want to visit. When I am out of Calgary and somewhere else, and people do see where I'm from they always tell me how they want to visit here someday. He wasn't the perfect major but we were extremely lucky to have someone like him running the city for as long as he did.

I guess now the stand out candidates for me are Jyoti and Novak.

I think overall, things won't change much with the mayor being one vote on council, but definitely the city's reputation could change depending on who gets elected.

Right now it seems like a race between Farkas, who will get the vote of every right wing type, and Gondek, who should get lots from the left leaning side. There have been rumors of Jeff Davison running. He hasn't said he's running, but the rumors keep popping up. If he were to run, things would get very interesting, as he's kind of more in the middle.

I think Davison has confirmed he is running for his seat in Ward 6 again. I suppose he could still switch, but I don't know how common something like that is.

From the looks of it there will be a big split on the right leaning side of of things. There are lots of white, male candidates who occupy that "lower taxes, stand up for calgarians" platform, which i think will all take votes from eachother. While Gondek seems to stand on her own, i think she has a good chance of winning and will have my vote

From the looks of it there will be a big split on the right leaning side of of things. There are lots of white, male candidates who occupy that "lower taxes, stand up for calgarians" platform, which i think will all take votes from eachother. While Gondek seems to stand on her own, i think she has a good chance of winning and will have my vote
Of the field so far. We're early days yet.

Gondek hiring Stephen Carter to run her campaign should send alarm bells ringing.
Carter’s wife running for council too. The trough is too appealing for that family.

I think Davison has confirmed he is running for his seat in Ward 6 again. I suppose he could still switch, but I don't know how common something like that is.
That's what I've seen so far. I've heard rumors of him entering the race, but rumors are just that.

He had an accidental launch, when he turned on a mayoral campaign website a few weeks back. But we will see. It is really hard to raise a substantial amount of money under the new donor rules. And his wishy washy on the guidebook didn't win him favours among the angry but rich but feel hard done by and marginalized used to be progressive conservatives but now all about ethical oil and not dumping sewage in rivers (and how dare Quebec do that yet reject our pipelines) donor class that he believed he would have access to.

Is there an official list of candidates? I've only heard about Gondek and Farkas so far. Usually there are a few fringe candidates out there.

11 candidates for mayor so far, but really a two horse race.

I've reset the poll to reflect this year's candidates. If a another popular choice enters the race, I'll add the candidate, but for now it's just the two serious options, and 'other'. In this poll you can also change your votes after the fact in case something changes your mind later.

Last edited:

Back