BMO Centre Expansion | 25m | 5s | CMLC

Here's a great aerial view of the construction:

FVzAGaIVEAEKCE_

You can already see the foundations for the two pillars for the canopy and the grand stairway
image via Nick Blakeney on twitter

Last edited:
Well using my Amsterdam example that area would just look like a circular area of plain cement in the winter. Wouldn't 5 months of water feature and 7 months of plain cement still be better than the 12 months of plain cement that almost all of our public spaces in Calgary currently feature? (And that appears to now be the fate of the BMO Centre plaza). How many barren plazas with a few benches and some swirly designs in the cement does a city really need before we start asking for something better?
Your example would be fine here, it's fountains like the one in front of City Hall I don't like. The fountains in Central Memorial are decent when they put a christmas tree up in winter, and the small fountains between the restaurant and washrooms are definitely acceptable. I'd much rather see planters though.

Huh. I honestly don't know how I feel about that. Kinda cool? Kinda weird and out of place? Kind of a cool gimmick to draw people at night? At least it's got a water feature? More images from darwink's link. Here's hoping it doesn't go the way of the Millennium Park laser tower.

Image-6.jpg

Image-4.jpg

Image-8.jpg

Image-1-2-1-1536x811.jpg

Back