BMO Centre Expansion | 25m | 5s | CMLC

bmo.png

Calgary’s BMO Centre expansion plans now front and centre with new funding model
By Doug Vaessen

Calgary city council will soon see a plan to move forward with the BMO Centre expansion.
All three levels of government need to come on board, but a funding model that could add hundreds of millions of dollars worth of jobs to the city is now in place for the mega project.

Called the Community Revitalization Levy (CRL), it’s a provincially administered funding mechanism that allows municipalities to use future tax income to prepare areas for development. A similar plan was used to help develop the East Village area.

It’s a game changer for the BMO Centre expansion and all of Victoria Park, as the CRL can now be used for the BMO project. Proponents of the project say the new funding model will allow for the development of the arts and entertainment district.

Read more:
https://globalnews.ca/news/4726699/bmo-centre-expansion-funding-model/

Beat me to it! @JoeUrban

I don't know if that's the final design or not, but I'm thankful it's not the same kind of architecture as the last expansion.

If anyone can find more detailed drawings/renderings which would show the footprint of the new expansion that would be greatly appreciated!

Still a few hurdles to go through yet as currently they are only looking to extend the CRL for the funding, but still this is positive news in several regards.Everyone will be on-board with extending the CRL and they can get this moving forward. In the video it says they are doubling the facility which would make it somewhere around half a million sq feet when finished. That would put Calgary back on the map.

Looks a bit busy, but can turn out to be very interesting. I like the rocky mountain edginess. These edgy/curvy designs with lots of glass/wood should be our architectural theme to target. Goes very well with our geography (mountains, hills, chinook winds). Stampitecture should be banned forever.

Also, looks like there's already a new hotel render on the left side. This conference should bring in lots of extra business travel. Was just at the newish convention centre in Ottawa, and that one looks amazing too.

Last edited:
If this gets going, it should trigger a hotel project in that area. Also, the new arena has to be located nearby. How can it go anywhere else in the city?

Definitely looks like s new arena needs to go in the area. It’s always been the best location in my opinion. It would be nice to have a hotel in that area, I know that the Hilton and ALT hotel aren’t far away but it would be nice to have one on that side of the tracks.
If this gets going, it should trigger a hotel project in that area. Also, the new arena has to be located nearby. How can it go anywhere else in the city?

Agreed, was just saying on SSP basically what both of the last posts said. The Global News story seemed to hint that the Stampede Board/CMLC might already be hunting for a hotel to start up.

I absolutely love that design, I hope the cheapening doesn't occur with this one.
Awesome how much really solid architecure we've gotten here recently, can't wait to see this one happen.

This plus the arena in that area in the next ~10 ish years will totally change that area

encouraging to see post olympic letdown the cmlc had these plans up their sleeve. hoping theres enough “energy” left in this economy for east vic park to get some momentum.

was at the flames game friday night and considering the saddledome has had 35yrs its failed miserably to attact any kind of pulse whatsoever. 20 minute walk from 4th and 17th in winter, sorry just a total fail. may as well be in balzac for all its ammenities.

im a belieber in the cmlc, terrific job so far in the east village. keep on rolling!

Was talking to an architect at a Chamber event in the spring - once a new convention centre site is finalized there are around 1500 rooms ready to pull the trigger apparently.

Back