Block 23 - Central Park | 12m | 3s | Gibbs Gage

This is exactly what EV could use. That empty parcel in the middle of EV would be a great place to have a park like this with some retail built into it.
They are really nailing the tenant mix - it’s very impressive who they’ve been able to attract to commit to the district....I mean I thought Staples was closing stores!
As much as I love what East Village is becoming, the retail component hasn’t been overly successfully executed and that may be in part because CMLC removes itself from that level of planning. Compare that to West Campus who are curating the retail mix - and I’d say the latter approach is more successful.

I find the park drawn in the map more appetizing. This is the standard, overwrought, fragmented spaces with not enough soft surfaces being built everywhere. I'm also bored to death with the angular walkways cutting through spaces. They are practical and convenient for people to get from A to B but parks shouldn't be fixed, pretty spaces to walkthrough along the most efficient line. With that said, this still rate well against other multi-use, turn of the century designs across the nation. The Beltline and East Village could do much better.

Another note about the retail with the two buildings on the park, the east building will be hosting the Cineplexe VIP cinemas and the Staples, a few other small retailers as well as two restos that will look onto the park. The west building will have other smaller retailers. Both buildings will host some office tenants. There will be an underground parkade that will host 500 parking spaces, with a large glass entrance to the parkade.

one word, Location! next to biggest employers in the city, and soon the new cancer centre that's under construction.
Location is a big part of it. I like East Village as a location, but I know a few who are wary of living down around the east the side of downtown. Not me, I have no issue with EV's location but I know others who do. U/D has a somewhat urban feel to it without some of the 'colorfulness' of downtown. It appeals to a sector of the population.

If I'm not mistaken, that's the new Argyle proposal in the background. I like how they place a highrise building in behind, even though it's a low rise district.

cc-gjEovkIA.jpg

I mean, as has been mentioned on the forum, there is a 15 storey hotel currently under construction in the neighbourhood. Not exactly low rise.

The addition of this park will really be attractive for this neighborhood!

Is there an existing or planned park at/adjacent to Children’s Hospital?
There's an existing park on the west side of the hospital, but it's kind of sparse right now. I'm not sure if they are adding more to it or not. The map shows a decent looking park to west of the hosital.

Here's the map of the overall scheme.
Image5.jpg

Back