News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Calgary Bike Lanes and Bike Paths

I encourage all those who support bike lanes to voice their opinion to the city as part of the 12 Ave study. Lots of anti-bike comments on the facebook posts and I think we need a strong, rational voice to counter a lot of the dissent.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-bike-share-pilot-project-1.5141829
Lime Bike might have competition, as Calgary puts out call for more dockless bike-shares
Not a huge fan of these dockless bikes, I've seen too many people get off one and leave it in the middle of a sidewalk or right in front of a doorway. People are too self absorbed to pay attention where they are leaving these and so many are just plain in the way.

so many are just plain in the way.
Anyone can move them. How many is too many? I bet we all see the same bad ones on busy corridors. And we don't even notice the ones that are fine. We are very good at noticing things that seem out of place, but bad at noticing and remembering everyday things.

I am fine with dockless bike share. Would I like bixi instead? Yes. But who is going to pay to roll that out when the dockless is so so much cheaper to roll out?

I hope that Lime Bikes that are just normal bikes come, and maybe a competitor company. Lime Bike is just so expensive!

Yeah, the cost is the thing for me too. In limited situations the Lime bike can be worth the money, but with prices up there with Car2go it's hard to compete.

I've found Lime to be better than car2go or Uber in certain circumstances but you're journey management needs to be spot on. It would be nice if some competition could bring a drop in price to facilitate more recreational use of them (ie. I'm no longer trying to get from A to B in as little time as possible - specifically tourists, weekend warriors). I prefer the flexibility of leaving them and finding them in a variety of places vs needing to find a docking station. I also don't think it's been an issue with lime bikes being left in inappropriate spots (it's so Canadian of us), but I will add that they are not at all easy to just move if in the way for 2 reasons - 1 the rear wheel is locked and 2 they are HEAVY with the battery

The key is to somehow get the price down. Lime Bike doesn't make much sense for a tourist for example. You don't know the city and you hop on a lime bike and cruise around for a bit trying to find your way. Before you know it's you've spent 10 bucks and haven't really gone anywhere. Not just for tourists, but for locals it'd be nice to have something where you pay something like $5 and have the bike for the hour.

Was using the cycle tracks downtown the other day. First time since shortly after they opened (I've been away alot) I'm super impressed by how busy they are, especially on off peak times. Also cruised around Eau Claire and the Peace Bridge. I Love the public space around around the bridge, it's nice to see something finished there. Like the new pathway for bikes that takes them off the main path. Cycle infrastructure and cycling in general is improving nicely in this city. So nice to be back.

In Australia, I see Lime Bikes parked on inaccessible ledges overlooking the ocean, somebody's idea of a prank. In Seattle, they get thrown into the ocean. Lime must buy them at very low cost.

^ They just have lots of money to try and build a business!

The cycle track plans are out for 12th Ave to 16th Street SW.

Zoomed in on 14th Street:

East Village/4 St SE Cycle Track plans and construction timelines are posted on the City website. Planned completion of November 2019

I have mixed feelings about this plan. From a safety/accessibility standpoint it's nice to avoid crossing the LRT tracks, but the jog at 7 Ave is going to be annoying for regular bike commuters.

I wonder how many cyclist will choose to go straight down 4th street instead? Agree about the jog at 7th. I have cycled from 9th ave to the river a few times, and have never had any issue going down 4th street.The one time there was a train I took the jog at 7th, but other than that going down 4th is easy enough.

East Village/4 St SE Cycle Track plans and construction timelines are posted on the City website. Planned completion of November 2019

I have mixed feelings about this plan. From a safety/accessibility standpoint it's nice to avoid crossing the LRT tracks, but the jog at 7 Ave is going to be annoying for regular bike commuters.

This plan is ridiculous. The jog is a nuisance and they are relying on a shared sidewalk for it which will increase conflicts between bikes and pedestrians. It also ignores the fact that a major destination for the area will be the new grocery store at 4 St and 6th Ave. This plan moves the route one block east and across the tracks from the place a lot of area residents will trying to get to all because "it was decided that constructing the cycle track along 4 Street S.E., through the intersection of 7 Ave. S.E. where the LRT crosses, could create potential safety issues for less-experienced cyclists".

Also on a side note, weren't the 9th Ave cycle lanes supposed to be turned into cycle tracks as part of this East Village project?

Back