News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Calgary Bike Lanes and Bike Paths

A cycle track is being proposed on 2nd street:

https://s3.ap-southeast-2.amazonaws...d_Street_SW_Complete_Street_Plan_Overview.jpg

I have mixed feelings about this. I'm not sure that it"s wise to convert 2nd street to a one-way...even if it only one lane for 23 hours of the day.

In my ideal world, parking would be removed, full cycletrack would be place in and two-way street would be maintained. But I think this is a good compromise to get some serious bicycle infrastructure on a critical link.

However, IMO it was kind of ridiculous that a compromise was needed. I am referring to that 2nd Street was not considered wide enough for Calgary Transit buses under a two-way configuration with protected lanes on each side. Lanes would be "sub-standard" therefore Transit wouldn't support it (Standard does not equal reality, as buses could fit, just tighter config than freeway width lanes). So, they removed the protection, plan became bike lanes only which wasn't ideal, just to save the space for the barriers to meet the standards. Of course, whether or not Calgary Transit has a route on 2nd Street existing or planned wasn't important (they don't have one existing or planned).

But a 100% AAA protected two-way is a great win as we have a protected route river-to-river - even if it's not a straight line. What I would love to see is 5th Street converted to a one-way southbound to compensate, removing the northbound lane for a two-way cycletrack to seamlessly plug Elbow pathway to 5th and 17th cycletrack. 5th and 2nd both don't need more than 1 lane.

Ironically if that came to be, both 5th and 2nd Streets would be back to their configuration from a few decades ago where they were both one-ways. The difference being the one-ways are supporting serious active modes transportation infrastructure rather than deliberately ignoring it.

Especially if a bike link up 2nd under the tracks is able to be added to the Green Line - I doubt it now that the tunnel will be deeper than expected in the late 2000s tunnel study.

In my ideal world, parking would be removed, full cycletrack would be place in and two-way street would be maintained. But I think this is a good compromise to get some serious bicycle infrastructure on a critical link.

However, IMO it was kind of ridiculous that a compromise was needed. I am referring to that 2nd Street was not considered wide enough for Calgary Transit buses under a two-way configuration with protected lanes on each side. Lanes would be "sub-standard" therefore Transit wouldn't support it (Standard does not equal reality, as buses could fit, just tighter config than freeway width lanes). So, they removed the protection, plan became bike lanes only which wasn't ideal, just to save the space for the barriers to meet the standards. Of course, whether or not Calgary Transit has a route on 2nd Street existing or planned wasn't important (they don't have one existing or planned).

But a 100% AAA protected two-way is a great win as we have a protected route river-to-river - even if it's not a straight line. What I would love to see is 5th Street converted to a one-way southbound to compensate, removing the northbound lane for a two-way cycletrack to seamlessly plug Elbow pathway to 5th and 17th cycletrack. 5th and 2nd both don't need more than 1 lane.

Ironically if that came to be, both 5th and 2nd Streets would be back to their configuration from a few decades ago where they were both one-ways. The difference being the one-ways are supporting serious active modes transportation infrastructure rather than deliberately ignoring it.

That's be hilarious if 2nd and 5th were reconfigured to one-ways.

I think the new cycling plan is suppose to be presented to council soon.

How do we get a cycle track on 42 ave SE? Or perhaps, at least review the impact.

Super bike commuter Kev Shlaw has been working on just that over the last few months, organizing a letter writing campaign to city council and also getting the many businesses in the corridor to help advocate for it too.

Lots of people posting screenshots of the bike locations, apparently a few have ended up in the river already!
Yes. I have noticed these bikes scattered all over the city. It would seem they have more inventory than they have interested riders, particularly this time of year. They brought this concept to the market end of summer/early fall and missed the peak months for tourism. I can only imagine what the maintenance costs are going to be on these things, after exposure to harsh conditions for several months.

So this motion passed, with included $5.5 Mill for active mobility in the Barley Belt (hopefully 42 ave) and other priority pathway connections. However, that is extremely vauge, would someone be able to educate me on what would be the City's next steps and/or where I can get more information now that the motion has passed?

Thank you!

I believe they have to start with a study to assess needs, then a design study to work out solutions for those needs. Then a build out. If we're luck there will be temporary facilities in place this summer, more likely next. Then permanent by 2021 or so.

If anyone uses the cycle track on 12 Ave, I've noticed Ellis Don using it as a loading zone recently (500 Block project), and the truck drivers and the flag guys are extremely rude to anyone questioning why they are blocking it off, so I suggest that everyone who notices this call 311. I've actually had a bit of success with them (311) lately. The cycle lane needs to have a detour set up any time they close it, and it's not cheap to close a traffic lane, so that's why they are just doing it at random instead of following the proper channels. Bike infrastructure needs to be respected in this city, and any cyclist who is affected by this should not just be quiet and go around.

I believe Ellis Don has scaffolding over the bike lanes so it acts as a tunnel getting bikes through.
They definitely do as they weren't allowed to close it. What they have been doing is have vehicles load immediately west of the scaffolding right in the bike lane. If they want to close the lane, they need a permit and have to set up a detour, but they don't want to pay for it so they just do what they want and fuck cyclists over .

Back