6.7K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.9K     0 

Calgary Bike Lanes and Bike Paths

Funding approved today:
View attachment 522350
Couldn't help notice the difference:
1700864378023.png

I live in an area with a painted bike lane leading to a school. Obviously protected bike lanes are ideal but that is what we have. The paint has began to fade, and the ride was already not the safest. How much does it cost the city to repaint these lanes? And it is likely going to be some absurd number, I always wonder why some of these tasks can't be one by the community association by volunteers.

I live in an area with a painted bike lane leading to a school. Obviously protected bike lanes are ideal but that is what we have. The paint has began to fade, and the ride was already not the safest. How much does it cost the city to repaint these lanes? And it is likely going to be some absurd number, I always wonder why some of these tasks can't be one by the community association by volunteers.
Complain on 311 everytime it doesn't meet your expectations.

Painting is so much easier with the right equipment and skill. An experienced line painter freehanding, it looks like a dance that comes out looking like it was stenciled.

Is the stop sign still required?
It's definitely required. Without the stop sign it was dangerous, as cyclists still pass through and into the road. Before the stop sign was put in cars would come down at a pretty good speed and round the corner without a chance to see oncoming cyclists.
It was actually safer before when it was an uncontrolled intersection, as at least cars had to stop.

I like this place because I can get all the information. I have never been through the intersection so the context is appreciated. Thank you everyone.
Yeah the issue with that intersection is for cyclists going north or south it would appear they have the right of way, and for motorists coming from the east or west it appeared to just be a curve to the left. So both traffic might think they have the right of way. The stop signs brings it to match most of the rest of 2nd street where north south traffic has the right of way and east west traffic has a stop sign

Another 311 win lately, I personally had given up my 311 crusade on this issue but some brave souls must have continued because the city finally properly fixed the giant bump on the west of side of center st bridge just as you come down the pathway from the hill (right by the crosswalk). First time in many years I didn't have to brake to an almost stop going over it

I've noticed a ton of signage up at the west end of the glacier path by Edworthy Park this year and was wondering if the city was looking into some slope stability issues above. Just saw this article about the Douglas Fir Trail above the glacier path being closed due to stability issues, so I guess I have my answer. Hope they can fix the stability issues up there, DFT is probably the nicest hiking trail in the city! Article

PXL_20231129_152736417~2.jpg

I'd really encourage folks to write to council discussing the growth that's about to happen in this area.

Today, 14th St is incredibly inhospitable to pedestrians.

We're about to stick upwards of 1000 new residents into the area, who will skew towards active mobility as their primary transportation method. This is going to dramatically increase the likelihood of collision.

Yet, as far as I'm aware. There are no plans to decrease crossing distances, change signal patterns, add on-street parking, or do any of the things that we know decrease the likelihood of pedestrian fatality or injury.

That's how it goes.. Street calming measure including more pedestrian crosswalks are an effect of more collisions and/or community pressure.

Of course. Someone has already acted and started a Beltline Community action group with the primary mission to make the neighbourhood safer for pedestrians so there's hope it can buck the trend. I'm sure they could always use active participants. Or multiple neighbourhood groups with similar causes are better than one.

Back