News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.9K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.7K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.9K     0 

Calgary Bike Lanes and Bike Paths

The other possibility is the city gets it's head out of its ass and finally decides to make use of the setbacks. That way you could build one without taking away driving lanes.

I'm assuming setbacks are the grassy areas between the street and the sidewalk? Those are actually one of the reasons I asked about Elbow getting bike lanes. Seems like there's room. Would the fairly heavy bus traffic cause an issue?

If Elbow was done tomorrow I'd imagine it'd be pretty similar to what was done to 37 Street
Screenshot_20230624-000123.png

I'm assuming setbacks are the grassy areas between the street and the sidewalk? Those are actually one of the reasons I asked about Elbow getting bike lanes. Seems like there's room. Would the fairly heavy bus traffic cause an issue?
Yep. I don't know where they fall under the setback minimums etc.., and I agree, definitely enough space to use them for pathways.

There is a petition circulating to save the third Avenue cycle track. I forgot that the city was planning to take it out once the Eau Claire pathway was finished, but I don’t see why they need to take it out. It’s not affecting traffic, and it’s already in the place, common sense tells me just to leave it as is.

Why are they ripping it out? seems to be a ton of space on that street.
Because it’s the City of Calgary and they couldn’t call themselves the city of Calgary if they did something sensible.
The plan was only temporary for the third Avenue cycle track, so some bureaucrats somewhere in the city, looked at the timeline and thought OK. time to take it out, without any communication with other groups

Apparently the owners of a couple of the skyscrapers lost their minds when they heard the City of Calgary was considering making the temporary detour permanent and essentially said that that decision would lead to the zombie apocalypse and no developer ever building along 3rd Ave ever again so admin blinked. The current area Councillor also doesn't help the case as he was against the temporary detour in the first place because he believed it would negatively impact Chinatown.

Apparently the owners of a couple of the skyscrapers lost their minds when they heard the City of Calgary was considering making the temporary detour permanent and essentially said that that decision would lead to the zombie apocalypse and no developer ever building along 3rd Ave ever again so admin blinked. The current area Councillor also doesn't help the case as he was against the temporary detour in the first place because he believed it would negatively impact Chinatown.
It has been a zombie apocalypses for a while now. The cycle lanes actually livened it up lol.

It has been a zombie apocalypses for a while now. The cycle lanes actually livened it up lol.
Because a parking lot is exactly what a neighborhood needs to liven it up. I can tell you riding my bike by something everyday brings me into that business. Without riding by Central Taps every day I can't say I'd have ever gone there. People on the street, bring people to the street.

Last edited:
They just had a news piece on CBC radio about it. I'm summarizing but this is pretty much what the city spokesperson said "We didn't have time to do a proper engagement on a permanent installation so even though the avenue is part of our plan to have a bike lane we're going to remove it in September and then go about the whole process again and maybe put it back in"

Did they not have a massive engagement process when the current version went in? Once this is gone it'll be another 5 years until we get it back if ever. This bureaucracy is so infuriating

What's richly ironic is that the City doesn't actually want any more office skyscrapers built for the forseeable future anyways. They're literally paying people who have built office skyscrapers to do something else. Meanwhile, the initial set of downtown cycle tracks have all had residential highrises built next to them, so they can't be leading to that much of a zombie apocalypse.

There are a couple of actual legitimate issues that were identified in the report (I'm not counting the 28% of people who felt unsafe while driving because they couldn't park in front of their destination) -- the big one is traffic backing up eastbound in the afternoon, which slows egress from parkades. The report focuses on the maximum delays out of parkades, not the typical or even 85th percentile values -- the highest delay is almost 6 minutes to get out of Jamieson Place on Thursday, which is absolutely something frustrating and something that should get fixed. But that's with a 20 vehicle queue; the average is under 5 and 85th percentile is 13. We'd never decide that the cycle tracks here need to be widened based on the maximum number of cyclists ever observed!

But the report also says:
This queuing did occur prior to the installation of the temporary cycle track, but is exacerbated by design changes and it significantly impacts outbound operations at three parkades (Calgary City Centre, Jamieson Place, and The Ampersand).
Bicycle and other wheeled traffic currently has minimal impact on parkade egress activity. The issue is wholly related to vehicle blockage resulting from reduced width at intersections.

The basic problem is that for about an hour in the afternoon on weekdays, traffic backs up in a three block stretch because you used to be able to go around left turning vehicles at three intersections and now you can't.

So why is the solution to dismantle 5% of the city's protected cycle track network, rather than put in left turn bans for an hour at three intersections? The most recent count is a 2018 count at 1st; there's around 120 eastbound vehicles an hour turning left (about 20%). It's really not a big deal to fix.

Very well said ByeByeBaby. Solutions can easily be developed and what better way to test out those solutions than in the real world with the tracks already installed? The answers from the City of Calgary project lead in this article are.... not great. Doesn't sound like someone who should be in charge of 5A infrastructure projects, let alone this one.

Meh, those 3rd Avenue bike lanes are not a big loss - I bike them regularly and I've never seen them busy other than when the river path was closed - and the river pathway is a far superior alternative. The interface through Chinatown and connection back to the pathway at the east end is awkward as well. Calling the project a "huge success" is a massive stretch. 🤣

What we really need is proper separated bike lanes on 4th or 5th Ave. These would be far enough away from the river to actually be a useful alternative and would bring bike commuters much closer to centre ice for offices in the core. It would also be an improvement to the dismal streetscape on those avenues.

Meh, those 3rd Avenue bike lanes are not a big loss - I bike them regularly and I've never seen them busy other than when the river path was closed - and the river pathway is a far superior alternative. The interface through Chinatown and connection back to the pathway at the east end is awkward as well. Calling the project a "huge success" is a massive stretch. 🤣

What we really need is proper separated bike lanes on 4th or 5th Ave. These would be far enough away from the river to actually be a useful alternative and would bring bike commuters much closer to centre ice for offices in the core. It would also be an improvement to the dismal streetscape on those avenues.
I could live with the bike lanes going from 3rd ave and having a new bike lane along 4th ave. 4th ave. My concern is that it won't likely happen, and we already have the bike lane on 3rd ave. All that is needed is to leave it be. The city can put one on 5th ave in addition to 3rd ave. .. Having one on 3rd would make having one on 6th ave which connects through to EV, more feasible.

Now the Eau Claire path is open I see less people on 3rd ave during the middle of the day, but it seems just as busy between 3pm and 6pm.

Back