4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Calgary & Alberta Economy

Great to see some of these projects are starting to be commercialized

A couple of interesting side notes from the article:

"Christiaanse said this will not be the last company it announces that has decided to come to Calgary through word of mouth and there will be more slated through the fall.

"On Monday, Calgary-based startup Orennia announced it had secured US$25 million in Series B financing to scale up their operations."

It's a trickle but it's a good consistent trickle.
@UrbanWarrior 's expression 'small waves create a tsunami' sums it up well.

Employers locating here always mention the skilled labour pool, and I think it's probably the #1 factor. One trend I'm seeing first hand is people moving here because of the tech jobs and in effect boosting the very pool which draws the tech employers. I've interviewed a number of skilled people who have come to Canada in the past year or recent years to another city but have moved to Calgary because that's where the jobs are. I've seen a number coming from Winnipeg or Halifax, and the gist is that there are no jobs for their skill set there.
Could be faster with some more support but it’s going reasonably well imo.
Agreed. We have to keep that momentum going. We could be doing more to home-grow the labour pool, rather than rely on it coming from other cities or countries.

Once you look at BC in terms of it's topography and climatology (which are the same thing in many cases) maps you realize it doesn't have a lot of developable land in the areas that are most desirable. It's a series of valleys that all put together probably would be larger than PEI but not much.

This isn't even factoring in agricultural land protection and general environmental NIMBYism.

BC is going to have to go full tower mode if it wants to keep growing at a decent pace into the future.
Like I was saying...

Canada’s largest port is struggling to acquire the land it needs to support trade, a growing population and economic activity.

Like I was saying...

Canada’s largest port is struggling to acquire the land it needs to support trade, a growing population and economic activity.

Province might need to look a little closer at its Agricultural Land Reserve in Lower Mainland to open up opportunities for industrial development.

Consolidating enough industrial land in Vancouver area for a substantial sized development is nearly impossible. Most industrial zoned land is occupied or brownfield. Vacant industrial properties are often too small to do much with.

Back