News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Calgary & Alberta Economy

Construction starting on Canada's largest solar farm

What's happening? ? Keystone XL construction restarts. Pipelines getting approval (Line 3)! Now court challenges being dismissed (TMX)! Finally a run of good news for the energy industry. Now if we could only get one of the pipelines operational before the world forgets Canada still is an oil & gas producer.

that's not exactly great, considering we're the 4th largest metro and 3rd largest municipality.

Edit: But seeing we are only slightly behind Waterloo RM and ahead of Ottawa, I'm more content with our placement. :p

that's not exactly great, considering we're the 4th largest metro and 3rd largest municipality.

Edit: But seeing we are only slightly behind Waterloo RM and ahead of Ottawa, I'm more content with our placement. :p

Agreed plus the big thing for Calgary compared to a few of the other cities is that investment actually increased substantially in Q4 2019 so hopefully that means momentum going into 2020

Toronto and Vancouver seem to be getting the bulk of investment in this sector.

Toronto and Vancouver seem to be getting the bulk of investment in this sector.

That's not surprising to me. Honestly I don't expect Calgary to directly compete with the Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal markets. Rather I see Calgary becoming more of a secondary market for the tech firms which would still be very significant for us.

Western Canada regional HQ for an angel investment organization is opening up in Calgary this Spring. Great to see the investment side of the tech ecosystem continuing to grow. This should help drive growth for the tech industry in the province.

This disruption to the economy is Canada wide. It would seem that the grievances expressed by most indigenous groups is less about Coastal Gaslink, and more to do with injustices (some real, some perceived) done to aboriginals going back 100 years and more. I saw one interview on CBC on the weekend, where an indigenous woman was crying that 'our people are dying'. If you were just tuning in, you would think that the pipeline project is the cause of this.The 'no more fossil fuels' groups have jumped on this bandwagon to confuse things even more.
I fear that the precedent is now set. Going forward, any infrastructure project in Canada that affects indigenous land faces the same opposition. It does not matter that you consult with the band leadership in advance, and most importantly gain agreement. It does not matter if the project will create revenue and jobs for those same indigenous groups. It is never enough.
It is no wonder why we can't get anything done in this country.?

Last edited:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/mortgage-stress-test-1.5467330 although not a massive change, Im curious to see how the new stress test coupled with foreseeable lower interest rates are going to have an affect on our condo and rental market. Although I'm starting to like the recent trend of rental built apartments I'm wondering how long the trend will last if Calgarys housing market begins moving up towards a sellers market. Vancouver and Toronto have already priced out many middle class buyers so I would expect the rental trend to last a lot longer in those cities.

Co-sharing office space takes over 10 floors in Calgary downtown towers

wework.jpg

Last edited:

Back