News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Calgary & Alberta Economy

I think it's pretty well the same as the Calgary metropolitan region Basically Calgary CMA with the addition of Wheatland County, and Foothills MD. Adding those two districts and the towns and villages within them, the population is substantial, and comes out around the 1.596M as shown on the graph.

What's exactly the Calgary economic region? It's shows on the Calgary economic development website that the Calgary economic region population is inching toward 1.7 million people!
View attachment 190692

Last edited:
I have to laugh at the news reports that Alberta may be heading into a mild recession. To most Calgarians, I am sure it feels like we have been in recession since 2015. ?
There is a new recession predictor that seems to be pretty good, the Sahm Index. Simplified it is compare the unemployment 3-month average to the minimum unemployment over the past 13 months. If difference is more than 0.5, most likely in recession.

And indeed, the Sahm Index does show a tendency to recession right now - when the index gets over 0.5 we are very likely to be in recession. However, we were in stable recovery for about a year, before things started trending poorly again.

I think that September is optimistic, but I wouldn't be surprised if it got underway before the end of 2018.

Going through a timewarp would be super dope.

Trans Mountain pipeline construction should resume by September, says CEO

Still more hurdles but getting closer.
To lose another year of construction is a travesty. Of all the pipelines proposed, this one was a 'no-brainer'. Only in Canada, you say? :rolleyes:

To lose another year of construction is a travesty. Of all the pipelines proposed, this one was a 'no-brainer'. Only in Canada, you say? :rolleyes:
And the USA for interstate pipelines, and rail unloading and export terminals. And in Australia for coal infrastructure. And in New Zealand for oil infrastructure (off shore), coal and gold extraction.

Alberta as a landlocked place faces much higher barriers than most other resource extractors, where processes are much faster since there is only a single jurisdiction to deal with.

As for the delay - I'd much rather have pipe going into the ground this fall, than still be in the courts waiting for a ruling on an appeal, and then probably losing.

To the end of June, single family building permits in Calgary are down 19% versus last year. I think this is a function of an overbuild in the last two years. There were and still are a lot of spec homes on the market that have to absorbed. No doubt this has contributed to the 4% decline in selling prices.
I could not find exact data on multi-family but I heard that multi-family permits are up over last year. If so, the purpose rental projects are contributing factors to this growth.
Job & wage growth combined with new home construction are key measures on how our economy is tracking. We are still a far cry from 2014.

Still have a ways to go yet. I agree we are trending in the right direction, but very slowly. At least we aren't trending downward.

Back