News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Calgary & Alberta Economy

Even if it made economic sense, a big if, I can’t see the Americans being able to get an approval that sticks.

20200915130924-5f60f93d61ca0878e2938019jpeg.jpg

It's nice to see more of our tech companies concentrating downtown

It's been a surprisingly good year for tech in Calgary. VC funding is getting awfully close to breaking CAD 200 million for 2020 which would be an impressive milestone for Calgary. It's currently around 170 million as of September.

Wowza
It's been a surprisingly good year for tech in Calgary. VC funding is getting awfully close to breaking CAD 200 million for 2020 which would be an impressive milestone for Calgary. It's currently around 170 million as of September.
wowza!

Any idea what the pipeline is like? Having a bunch at the lower end would hopefully mean can consistently hit that rather than have a few down years before another good one.

a number like that can start to be a virtuous circle if marketed right. Especially with the early stage r&d supports the province has put in. Hopefully will draw a few VCs to have a physical presence to try to scoop deals and better support their Investments. And more just draws more.

but if you have some down years then it starts to look like not a smart market to try to have an advantage in.

That's awesome so we are already over what we raised in all of 2019

Wowza

wowza!

Any idea what the pipeline is like? Having a bunch at the lower end would hopefully mean can consistently hit that rather than have a few down years before another good one.

a number like that can start to be a virtuous circle if marketed right. Especially with the early stage r&d supports the province has put in. Hopefully will draw a few VCs to have a physical presence to try to scoop deals and better support their Investments. And more just draws more.

but if you have some down years then it starts to look like not a smart market to try to have an advantage in.
Better than before the oil bust that's for sure. The number of deals have increased almost every year alongside an increase in funding which is a good indicator of pipeline strength.
I agree, we've had a couple good years but we need long term consistency if we want to establish a reputation as a solid ecosystem to invest in.

is there somewhere we can see this data online?
I just added together all the deals that are publicly known but PWC will publish a list in the new year with a breakdown assuming Calgary is in the top 5

Kind of a good news bad news article, but mostly good IMO. Jobs have been added in Calgary.

This would be a huge boost to the tech ecosystem if this goes through

^^^ That's fabulous news!

Could we have a source please?

Edit: Oh I see you addressed that.

This would be a huge boost to the tech ecosystem if this goes through

If this goes through I can see them setting up downtown which would go a ways to filling some of that vacant office space

Then... where is it gonna go? The article says no new building is being considered, and we don't have major, vacant office space near U of C.

Back