News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Calgary & Alberta Economy

Yes and no. Unlike smoking which is completely unnecessary and optional, the world isn't ready to replace oil and gas as an energy source and it will be produced and used either way for at least the near future, and Canada might as well benefit from it. Better the money goes to a democratic country that has been known to help other countries rather than a country like Saudi Arabia, Russia or Iran.
^ The shift in Alberta when oil and gas began to be seen as not a strategic necessity, was the adoption of the ethical oil argument, which is quite a bad argument. About as convincing as doctors endorsing a favoured brand of cigarettes.

Unfortunately as the purveyors of oil, the ethical argument seemed to really convince Calgary's oil patch -- so much so that they reject using arguments that actually work on other Canadians and Americans to convince people to change their mind.

Yes and no. Unlike smoking which is completely unnecessary and optional, the world isn't ready to replace oil and gas as an energy source and it will be produced and used either way for at least the near future, and Canada might as well benefit from it. Better the money goes to a democratic country that has been known to help other countries rather than a country like Saudi Arabia, Russia or Iran.

But @darwink 's point is that this argument is not convincing anyone. No one is proposing that we ban oil imports from Saudi Arabia. And no one who is reluctant to invest in the oil sands is going to be convinced to do so out of some ideological commitment to democracy.

Biden says he will tear up approval of Keystone XL pipeline if elected. And Trudeau's response to this when asked ... 'I have always supported the Keystone XL project in an effort to get our energy products to different markets. We will work with whatever government is elected in November'. He did not offer any details of what action he would take ... probably because he does not know or hasn't thought about it.

What could he possibly do in this situation?!? Trudeau is (rightly) not going to do anything that could be remotely construed as interfering with the US election. Look what happened to Ian Brodie during the 2008 Democratic primary. The absolute worst thing that could happen is if the Canadian government looks like it's trying to undermine the campaign of the person who, at this point, looks favoured to win the 2020 presidential election. The best thing that Trudeau can do is work through back channels and try to seek assurances that Biden will quietly "forget" about the pipeline after he gets elected.

I'm not a fan of the LPC, but I really, really do not understand this view that Trudeau is secretly trying to destroy the O&G industry in Alberta. The party was lobbying the US to support the KXL since before they were elected into power in 2015. They have a very strong interest in getting these pipelines built.

Of course, most Albertans prefer the Jason Kenney-style bluster, which produces absolutely zero results other than just further isolating Alberta.

What could he possibly do in this situation?!? Trudeau is (rightly) not going to do anything that could be remotely construed as interfering with the US election. Look what happened to Ian Brodie during the 2008 Democratic primary. The absolute worst thing that could happen is if the Canadian government looks like it's trying to undermine the campaign of the person who, at this point, looks favoured to win the 2020 presidential election. The best thing that Trudeau can do is work through back channels and try to seek assurances that Biden will quietly "forget" about the pipeline after he gets elected.

I'm not a fan of the LPC, but I really, really do not understand this view that Trudeau is secretly trying to destroy the O&G industry in Alberta. The party was lobbying the US to support the KXL since before they were elected into power in 2015. They have a very strong interest in getting these pipelines built.

Of course, most Albertans prefer the Jason Kenney-style bluster, which produces absolutely zero results other than just further isolating Alberta.
Trudeau and his cabinet could give their 'full throated' support of the Canadian energy industry. Instead of saying 'we need Albertans for their knowledge and innovation when we make the transition to renewable energy'; he could say 'for the foreseeable future, we are going to grow our share of the global production of oil and gas and support any and all infrastructure required'. We are also going to wean ourselves from energy imports to further support our homegrown industry'.
Before the pandemic, the world was consuming 100 million barrels of oil per day and we are not at peak. Today it is still over 70 million per day and will gradually get back to pre-pandemic levels. What was Canada's share of that production? 4 million barrels per day or roughly a 4% market share. We have the world's third largest reserves of oil but we only have 4% of the market. Any government with a sense for business would realize this is a huge opportunity. I keep saying … carbon emissions or not … we still have to pay for things particularly with our ever growing debt. I have yet to hear a credible plan for replacing O&G exports.

The problem is that the courts have said being full throat-ed and endorsing projects which they are the regulator and decider for -- as people seem to expect -- can lead to approvals granted by cabinet being thrown out.

Being full throat-ed is a great way to keep people angry. But it isn't a good way to get projects built.

Also some of the things the industry wants today aren't really what the industry has wanted historically - or even what they've wanted for most of the past 70 years.

Last edited:
General Electric is soon going to be announcing that they’re pulling out of Alberta.

Any reason given for the pullout?

Apparently they have been talking about it for years. From what I hear it’s due to the unfriendly and unstable business climate. Related to the carbon tax and the wild fluctuations in oil prices combined with our inability to get our product to market. Makes sense, really.

Last edited:
Iirc didn’t they mostly sell gas turbines and water treatment solutions from this office? Little oil expansion little need for those things.

Last edited:
No surprises here. They are trying to paint a rosier picture for 2021 with what looks like a significant GDP growth number. However it is on an ugly 2020 base, The net after 2 years is still negative growth.
Without knowing whether travel, hospitality and retail is going to recover over the next 2 years, that unemployment number is a crap shoot. Energy exports will continue to be supressed as the pipeline sagas continue. Line 3 is handicapped still. Keystone XL is still very much in doubt and it remains to be seen how much construction progress will be made on TMX this year.

I wouldn't have thought the TMX would be the first to come online, but here we are. Still possible it gets all sorts of fouled up, but it seems to be going well for now. Keystone XL only needs a single construction season of smooth sailing, but can't catch a break. Doesn't help that the Trump crew is really really bad at following administrative law. The only solace is that Trump is being defeated on all sorts of administrative law issues, so we know it is incompetence not intentional fuck ups.

Question for the O&G folks out there:
I am of the understanding that much of the jobs and income generated through the last few oil booms (pre-2007; 2011 - 2015) was due to high capital spending that allowed an amazing amount of wealth to be spread around. Combined with a relatively unconsolidated Canadian oil and gas sector, the high paying jobs multiplied: many companies all expanding capacity and production all at once, triggering huge wage escalation on everything from engineers to welders to business planners to truck drivers. The outcome of all this was actually quite unique economically as the boom tide did in fact raise many boats: while hardly evenly spread among the wider population, an portion of Alberta's population got significantly higher incomes for a while, particularly trades and professionals.

Fast-forward to today:
Prior to COVID, we pumped more oil than ever, but at a discount due to the capacity constraints of pipelines (e.g. the transportation differential would still exist if we had better capacity, however the gap would be less). Capital spending has been reduced significantly as prices do not warrant new capacity growth, focus has switched to operating efficiency which has had compounding effects, just like in the boom but unfortunately in the opposite direction. Companies close and consolidate, reducing jobs and removing duplicate positions. Focus on operating efficiency rather than pure growth is all about reducing the workforce, automating and controlling wages as well as no longer needing all the expensive labour to start and manage new projects to the same level (e.g. project managers, trades etc.)

So my questions are:
  • Does pumping more oil still result in more jobs? While I assume that is true to some extent, if my preamble is roughly correct the relationship between more oil = more jobs has got to be significantly shifted from the previous boom perspective?
    • E.g. we pump 4.5M barrels today but employ fewer than we did when we pumped 3.5M barrels (and trying to rapidly expand capacity)
  • Is there a future where it is possible for the industry to employ the same or greater number of well-paid people? Surely some jobs will always exist, but more? or at the same pay rate?
I ask this because I am curious on if folks actually have legitimate reason to believe the past that our politicians hearken to could actually happen where more people are employed and the industry expands (in absolute or relative terms compared to the wider economy). I can see almost no reality where this occurs, but want to hear from the folks that think differently than me and why they think real possibility or not.

IMO, I can see scenarios where our production growing again, but can't see the kind of rapid job growth return with it for the reasons above. I fear that our single-industry, single-party, single-media province has had decades of brainwashing so many Albertans to rally for false hopes and blame false enemies, many of which will be unwittingly left behind whether the industry grows again or not.

I wouldn't have thought the TMX would be the first to come online, but here we are. Still possible it gets all sorts of fouled up, but it seems to be going well for now. Keystone XL only needs a single construction season of smooth sailing, but can't catch a break. Doesn't help that the Trump crew is really really bad at following administrative law. The only solace is that Trump is being defeated on all sorts of administrative law issues, so we know it is incompetence not intentional fuck ups.
Yeah. Trump seems to think that he only needs to put his signature on bills/laws and things just automatically happen. I remember when he reversed Obama's ruling on Keystone in early 2017. Russ Girling from TCE was in the oval office with him. Trump turned to Girling and said ...'so when does construction start?' ... like Girling would even know when and where to start. Just as simple as a simpleton like Trump would think :rolleyes:

Back