2501 Richmond | 105m | 30s | Minto

Developer presenting at the CA meeting
7b7835c1b724fa1a0ce02e3718f2bd39.gif

Has there been any info on the heights of the proposed buildings? An inner city site right beside a freeway should absolutely have towers!
Check the PDF linked in the first post of this thread - 3 storeys along 25 St, 5 along Richmond Rd, and transitioning to 30 along Crowchild.

I think most forget that the 2,500 units are hardly a near term thing. The traffic fears - even if they materialize - won't be noticeable until after multiple phases are completed. At the pace we build stuff of this scale, that's likely 2030 or later - assuming no economic or regulatory speed bumps over that period that slow it down.

It's about as good of a place for serious density that we have. If it happens, it will come online in a slow enough pace people may hardly notice. As long as the development doesn't trigger a bunch of unnecessary car capacity in the area, the impacts should be modest.

Looks like they posted new content on the website to support the open houses. Here's the Transportation slide. I really like the opportunity to strengthen and enhance the cycling network here, particularly as 26 Ave SW is an increasingly important corridor with improvements already planned. I also like the pedestrian bridge potential, give better access to Marda Loop retail and the NB BRT options. All pretty logical stuff.
1701369568869.png

30 storeys seems very reasonable for that sort of location, especially for buildings along Crowchild. The tallest of the Cidex towers by Westbrook is over 30.

That said, I think a lot of developers propose higher than they intend to build on these sorts of controversial sites (see Glenmore Landing) knowing that they will likely need to give some concessions to the NIMBYs.

I’m going to get roasted for this, but I think if I were a resident in the neighborhood, I would probably complain. I’m not a Nimby type person at all, and I totally support this kind of development but I have to say 2500 units (assuming 2500 cars go along with it) is a lot for an area that has poor access.

Glenmore Landing has half the number of units and much better vehicle access. I think Glenmore Landing is a perfect sized proposal for that type of area.

For the record, I’m not a heavy vehicle supporter, I don’t even drive very often, but if I lived in the neighborhood, I wouldn’t want it to be flooded with cars either. 26th will make a great cycle/transit lane but cars aren’t going away anytime soon. 2500 cars will flood the neighbourhood with vehicle traffic. I think 1200 to 1500 units is more reasonable.

Back