19+2 | 16m | 5s | FAAS Architecture

Based on the limited info released right now, this one looks really great. Sensitive mixed use density in a great inner city neighbourhood. Our identified main streets could all use a variation of this. I have had the pleasure of working with FAAS in the past, they are a really creative group!

This one has its own NIMBY opposition group now, complete with website:

http://www.discuss19th.ca/192.html

Holy Shit!

I can't believe this one is being protested. 5 stories on a 'main street' is more than reasonable. I think the design is beautiful. Oh well, I guess beauty is subjective.

What a bunch of annoying Nimbys. I disagree with pretty much all of their points. Some of them are downright stupid...

Green Space – Proposed Development Lacks Green Space
  • Historically these properties have had front yards and extensive backyards with room for grass, trees and gardens
  • The proposed development almost completely fills up the properties identified with no allowance or offset for the removal of green space

Like get a clue. This is on 19th street and the properties across the street from it are retail properties and don't have extensive green space yards either. They want the height to be similar to the buildings across the street for context, but contrarily they want front yards which is out of context with the other side. Make up you minds would you!

NIMBYs always forget that higher density housing typically allows more people to do stuff, not less.
  • Won't be able to park (actually you are getting 56 new parking stalls)
  • Won't be able to walk to school (actually 50-56 potential new families will get to walk to school)
  • Won't be have as much green space (actually higher-density here preserves green space elsewhere and 50- 55 new families will get access to ample, high quality inner city green space)
  • Won't be able to support new retail (actually more retail in this cluster might make it a more sustainable hub, while providing more services for you and 50-55 new families)
Even silly ones work:
  • Won't allow much sunlight (actually 50-55 new families get more sun than previous; even net against a "sun loss" of 2 families it's still positive)
TL/DR: Ugh, just get out of the way and let a developer improve your property values, your access to services and community through high-quality redevelopment like this. Have a hipster ice cream cone or a bowl of pho in your new retail establishment in this building and chill out. Good thing they have visitor parking to access your new pho or ice cream shops, although you could always walk as you only live 100m away. Stop being spoiled 95% of Calgary's neighbourhood have less amenities that you, and you are getting more with this development.

Last edited:
Days like this I see no hope for Calgary. Density is just a word thrown around but when it comes down to it, a minority group of NIMBYist dictate the outcome. I just wish parasite residents like these NIMBYist would move out of Calgary and settle in some rundown town. Everyone seems to get triggered by everything and anything.

Days like this I see no hope for Calgary. Density is just a word thrown around but when it comes down to it, a minority group of NIMBYist dictate the outcome. I just wish parasite residents like these NIMBYist would move out of Calgary and settle in some rundown town. Everyone seems to get triggered by everything and anything.

The good news is that the large majority of infill developments get approved for land use by council, at DP, and win on appeal if it gets that far, despite some grumpy neighbors. The council votes typically aren’t close. Glo was the exception more than the rule over the last couple years, and it will still probably happen with a slightly different design, given the land use is already in place.

That is infuriating!!! That community should consider themselves lucky that they have a proposal for a project that is well designed and is sensitive from a height and density perspective right off the bat. Communities who say "we don't oppose development, we just don't want this one" are lying to themselves. The only saving grace here is that the project has support from administration and it will likely breeze through council. If Calgarians living in established communities want to see good re-development that really benefits their communities, they need to come to the realization that everything won't be 2 storeys and that well designed intensification projects can be a huge benefit. They are better off to work collaboratively with good developers than to just push back because the proposed project is taller than a bungalow. End rant.

100% true
That is infuriating!!! That community should consider themselves lucky that they have a proposal for a project that is well designed and is sensitive from a height and density perspective right off the bat. Communities who say "we don't oppose development, we just don't want this one" are lying to themselves. The only saving grace here is that the project has support from administration and it will likely breeze through council. If Calgarians living in established communities want to see good re-development that really benefits their communities, they need to come to the realization that everything won't be 2 storeys and that well designed intensification projects can be a huge benefit. They are better off to work collaboratively with good developers than to just push back because the proposed project is taller than a bungalow. End rant.

Last edited:

I could see the concerns if the proposal was an 8-storey bunker...but it's not.

Back