• 5 Terrible

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Surrealplaces

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
DP has been submitted for the following project, which will include a 26 storey residential tower with 157 units, and a four storey commercial building with retail area, with supermarket.

http://www.pbaland.com/developments/current-projects/17th-ave-sw/

PBA 17th-Avenue.jpg

Attachments

• PBA 17th-Avenue.jpg
    PBA 17th-Avenue.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 1,669
I am informed by Always Biking that this project is the DP submission mentioned in this article is for this project. I'd love to see this one proceed.

That's a great article, with a render of the hotel entrance we haven't seen before on here. Thanks!

This thread definitely deserved a bump. It's a crime that this lot has sat empty as long as it has. It's a big part of continuing the lively 17th ave street-scape down to the Stampede grounds. It doesn't have to have mind blowing design, it just has to be built!

I like it too. I voted great, even though it's probably more like a 'good'. What makes it great for me, is the retail and potential grocer on that corner.

I think that would be a perfect area for a grocery store. The next nearest ones are Safeway in Mission, and the future Whole Foods in MRV. I can't wait to see this one go ahead.

The Sunterra on 12 Ave is already within easy walking distance. There is a Safeway on 12 Ave & 8 St SW and the Midtown Co-op not that far away either. Also supposed to be a grocery store planned for the Anthem Erlton project. So I wonder whether 17 Select this will actually see a grocery store or something else in that space.

Reactions: MJC
I think the people living on first would probably be interested in a grocery store right on their street.

Yeah even a sorta boutique grocery store similar to Sunterra would be cool in 17 Select.

Haha, there's no way that less grocery stores downtown is the answer for Calgary is basically my position.

Groceries is a very low margin business so you need to make it up in volume. You have to draw on more than just the inhabitants within a 2 or 3 block radius.

Groceries is a very low margin business so you need to make it up in volume. You have to draw on more than just the inhabitants within a 2 or 3 block radius.
I'm wondering if they have had talk with a grocer or just putting one in the rendering as an example. Sunterra is the closest but a regular grocery store would be good somewhere in that east end of the Beltline. With Portfolio, and Live in Park now open, and Underwood, and Park Point on the way, and a res tower in this one it might be viable. Sovereign if it gets built is also a block away. I wonder if they wouldn't be best to build multiple CRUs, but have a design such that it could be made to accommodate a large space later on?

Back