1215 | 44m | 14s | Maple Projects Inc. | NORR

The north face of the tower getting close to completion.

2016 July 13 053.JPG 2016 July 13 056.JPG 2016 July 13 057.JPG

Attachments

• 2016 July 13 053.JPG
    2016 July 13 053.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 420
  • 2016 July 13 056.JPG
    2016 July 13 056.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 425
  • 2016 July 13 057.JPG
    2016 July 13 057.JPG
    973.9 KB · Views: 401
Even though it's not tall or architecturally interesting, it's looking like a good addition to the Beltline. The thing with mid-rise towers like this is that while not overly interesting on their own, the collective group make good urban fabric.

A decent little apartment tower. Not related to the tower itself, but the cycle path across the street has a strip of dead grass along it and the city needs to fill it with some planters or something.

I have been particularly impressed with the ground-floor treatment of some of these new residential-only Beltline buildings. Royal West (whatever its called on 16th Ave & 13th Street), Smith, and Maple all have nice wide sidewalks and nice planters and ground access. Smith and Royal West both seem to have a public seating area at the base with a small plaza/garden. If Calgary ever get's it's street tree game in gear, these are all excellent examples of good urban infill high-rise developments.

They are improvements on previous generations but, I'm not that impressed by what I've seen. First, there are some lost opportunities out in the Beltline in the provisions of even one mixed use unit. Small seating areas, plazas, are great in theory but, they hardly ever translate into successes. It's usually pointless filler that adds nothing to the experience of passing pedestrians. The only exception are senior focused buildings.

I forget where this is. Was it code to have a raised ground floor here?

It's right beside the Chumir Centre, I doubt it's code to have the raised floor here.

Or they had a moment of clarity and realized they were that stupid. The tower looks a lot better than the rendering.

Back