News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Calgary ‘Black Lives Matter‘ Equality Protests

I believe that most Indigenous and other people of colour understand that this movement is for them too. Many of the signs at the rallies have been along the lines of “Black + Indigenous Lives Matter” or “Black + Indigenous Lives are Beautiful”. There have also been speeches by indigenous and other non-black people of colour at every rally so far.
Unfortunately I don't think that's the case. People from my ethnic background which makes about a large chunk of population seem indifferent to it. Yes some participation from other colors of skin, but not many considering the percentage of population in Calgary. As a brown skinned person, I feel that way, but I know others who aren't much concerned about it and at the vigil I was surprised by the lack of people from other ethnic groups.

Who cares what the name of the movement is. The point is that police have been one of the hardest institutions to reform in public life. That is true for both Canada and the US. There are some issues on which the police are actually worse in Canada such as job security and lack of transparency. I doubt there is any city in Canada in which the police department is not the largest budget line (by far). Now is the time to push through changes that police unions have been blocking for decades.

As for talk of abolition, I don't think that's a realistic option in Calgary. However, there are some police departments that seem way beyond saving. There are accounts in the US of department that raise revenue essentially by just robbing the local population (often in departments where none of the police actually live in the city where they work). Basically they just arrest people, confiscate their money and property (e.g. cars) and then send them back onto the street without actually charging them with a crime (source). It's a perverse incentive and speaks to the concern that for many communities the police play the role of an occupying army rather than a community service.

Accounts of police departments in Minneapolis and Baltimore ignoring crimes and 911 calls as retribution for budget cuts and reforms is also reason why these cities might feel that drastic measures are the only solution.

Slogans are branding. If someone isn't going to support change based on a slogan, I doubt they are going to no matter what the slogan is. Racialized Lives Matter just doesn't roll off the tongue. Drawing attention to significant continuing violence in a short quip is a good one. Compare it to the amorphous Idle No More call for Indigenous peoples.

Slogans are branding. If someone isn't going to support change based on a slogan, I doubt they are going to no matter what the slogan is. Racialized Lives Matter just doesn't roll off the tongue. Drawing attention to significant continuing violence in a short quip is a good one. Compare it to the amorphous Idle No More call for Indigenous peoples.
Agreed, that should be the case, but like I said earlier, should and is aren't always the same. Maybe those who aren't fully on board will never support it, regardless of the slogan, could be, but there are large numbers of visible minority communities who were noticeably absent.Is it because of the slogan? I don't know, I'm only making an observation.

"Black Lives Matter" spread from a single protest in a little-known suburb of St. Louis MO over an issue that most people have no direct experience with (police brutality aimed at African Americans) to become perhaps the biggest social movement of the decade (maybe with the exception of climate change, which directly affects everyone). I'd say the success of the "branding" speaks for itself.

I agree that the slogan 'all lives matter' isn't the right slogan, but I don't think "black lives matter" or "black+indigenous lives matter" are the best slogans either, if people want this movement to go far. It gives the impression that it's a movement for only black or indigenous people, and if the movement is about getting better treatment and recognition for those groups, the slogan works.I know the answer will be that people should already know that the movement doesn't cover only those people, and yes that's true they should, but 'should' doesn't equal 'is'.

For a more broader movement against racism and to get everyone involved it should be something like 'racism matters' because in the end the issue is racism in general. I went to the vigil myself, and noticed that the vast majority were black or white, but over 30% of the city is made up of 'brown people' like myself. That tells me the movement still needs some tweaking.
It depends on which background the brown skin is from. My wife is of Chinese and says that she hasn't really experienced a lot racism, though she has experienced it. I feel like African Americans generally receive more racism, so that's probably why it's become the rallying point. My wife is much more indifferent about it than I am about it, possibly because she herself has experienced some racism, but not enough to be really angry about it.

I agree that the slogan 'all lives matter' isn't the right slogan, but I don't think "black lives matter" or "black+indigenous lives matter" are the best slogans either, if people want this movement to go far. It gives the impression that it's a movement for only black or indigenous people, and if the movement is about getting better treatment and recognition for those groups, the slogan works.I know the answer will be that people should already know that the movement doesn't cover only those people, and yes that's true they should, but 'should' doesn't equal 'is'.

For a more broader movement against racism and to get everyone involved it should be something like 'racism matters' because in the end the issue is racism in general. I went to the vigil myself, and noticed that the vast majority were black or white, but over 30% of the city is made up of 'brown people' like myself. That tells me the movement still needs some tweaking.
A large number of brown skinned people in Calgary are immigrants, and there are cultural aspects to consider. I work with a large number of immigrants , and I from what I've seen many of them tend to stay out away from politics, civic issues, etc... Given the situation back in their former countries many don't like to get involved in anything with crowds or police. I also find it's generally true about the stereotype of immigrants, many are hard working folks who sometimes work multiple jobs, and are focused on building a life. They don't often have the luxury of getting involved in these things.

Anyone know if there is a petition yet for the city to remove the monument glorifying the War of the South African Genocide (incorrectly called the “Boer War”) in Central Memorial Park yet?

Anyone know if there is a petition yet for the city to remove the monument glorifying the War of the South African Genocide (incorrectly called the “Boer War”) in Central Memorial Park yet?
Can you explain this further? I've never heard the Boer War described as a genocide. In fact, I've never heard anyone suggest that Afrikaners have been the victims of a genocide - usually they are accused of perpetrating one.

Can you explain this further? I've never heard the Boer War described as a genocide. In fact, I've never heard anyone suggest that Afrikaners have been the victims of a genocide - usually they are accused of perpetrating one.
The Boer people were placed in British internment camps typically after their farms were burned. I believe the first use of the term "concentration camp" was used to describe these camps. Very poor conditions with thousands dying of starvation, disease. I wasn't Britain's finest moment that's for sure.

Back