News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Calgary’s lack of innovative and diverse options led me to search elsewhere for the city life I wanted

Good discussion and good points in this thread. It’s a complex issue that doesn’t narrow down to one thing.
You can sum it up by saying the two main focusses for this issue are jobs, and general culture/vibrancy.
My parents moved from Montreal to Toronto in the 80s. Back then people were leaving the city left and right despite it being a very vibrant and cultural city. The language issues were part of the reason for people leaving, but I knew plenty of people including French Canadians who left because of career and job opportunities.
I realize today is different than the 80s or 90s, as young people are more mobile, but at the end of the day young people need jobs and opportunity. The bigger cities so far have that plus the nightlife and cultural scene. The problem is when you start to get older the bigger cities become less desirable. Especially for those raising a family. I moved from Toronto to Vancouver, and for the most part liked it there, but the gloss comes off of the cultural vibrancy seen quickly once you are looking to settle down and raise a family.

Does Strongbow from SSP post here? He would know best what Brookfield's plans / delays are with Seton. The high street might redeem it but there appears to be zero focus on that right now. Seems like building out the SFH's in the south and more Rohit condos everywhere else is the priority. They built two new retail buildings in the big box section. There's a Mormon temple by the high school now too. No community centre yet. Two nice parks in the south for kids but the central park by the rec centre is still barren. The kid parks are very nice but since there's nothing else around they are always packed.
My assumption is that they built all of the auto-dependent big box commercial in the NW corner of the community to then make the argument that 'market-demand' isn't there for the street-oriented retail in the bottom of mixed-use buildings along Market Street, as Calgary suburban developers have this idea that vertical mixed-use buildings are hard and that they should do 'horizontal mixed-use' which is just apartments besides single-storey CRUs because that is what they are used to building. I hope I am wrong and Market Street builds out as an attractive mixed-use main street, but so far not so good.

Good discussion and good points in this thread. It’s a complex issue that doesn’t narrow down to one thing.
You can sum it up by saying the two main focusses for this issue are jobs, and general culture/vibrancy.
My parents moved from Montreal to Toronto in the 80s. Back then people were leaving the city left and right despite it being a very vibrant and cultural city. The language issues were part of the reason for people leaving, but I knew plenty of people including French Canadians who left because of career and job opportunities.
I realize today is different than the 80s or 90s, as young people are more mobile, but at the end of the day young people need jobs and opportunity. The bigger cities so far have that plus the nightlife and cultural scene. The problem is when you start to get older the bigger cities become less desirable. Especially for those raising a family. I moved from Toronto to Vancouver, and for the most part liked it there, but the gloss comes off of the cultural vibrancy seen quickly once you are looking to settle down and raise a family.
It's true the gloss comes off cities like Vancouver for some people. One of those people being myself. I grew up in Calgary however a few years back I visited Vancouver and loved it, moving there as soon as I could. As many already know it has a lot of things going for it, and can see why it attracts younger people. I saw the attraction first hand, like beautiful scenery, a great restaurant scene, mild winters, etc.. I told all my friends and family how great Vancouver was.
Fast forward to now and I'm living in Calgary again, having moved back recently. The longer I lived there, the less I loved it, and every time I came back here for visits the more I was liking Calgary. A friend of mine who also left Calgary is questioning his decision and is thinking of moving back.
My advice is don't get too worked up over these kinds of articles, especially when it's opinion based. I could just as easily write an article about my experience and why I moved back. We don't want young people leaving Calgary, and I agree 100% that Calgary still needs to continue working to keep young people, but the situation isn't as dire as some make it out to be, and in many cases the grass isn't greener on the other side.

It's true the gloss comes off cities like Vancouver for some people. One of those people being myself. I grew up in Calgary however a few years back I visited Vancouver and loved it, moving there as soon as I could. As many already know it has a lot of things going for it, and can see why it attracts younger people. I saw the attraction first hand, like beautiful scenery, a great restaurant scene, mild winters, etc.. I told all my friends and family how great Vancouver was.
Fast forward to now and I'm living in Calgary again, having moved back recently. The longer I lived there, the less I loved it, and every time I came back here for visits the more I was liking Calgary. A friend of mine who also left Calgary is questioning his decision and is thinking of moving back.
My advice is don't get too worked up over these kinds of articles, especially when it's opinion based. I could just as easily write an article about my experience and why I moved back. We don't want young people leaving Calgary, and I agree 100% that Calgary still needs to continue working to keep young people, but the situation isn't as dire as some make it out to be, and in many cases the grass isn't greener on the other side.
What are some of your reasons the "gloss came off" Vancouver for you? I've never lived there but really enjoy the place when I visit. Have considered living there in the future just to switch thing up, yolo and all that

What are some of your reasons the "gloss came off" Vancouver for you? I've never lived there but really enjoy the place when I visit. Have considered living there in the future just to switch thing up, yolo and all that
My main reasons.
- The cost of living. I realized that I would never own a house, or at least own the kind of place I wanted (an inner city house/duplex/rowhome of decent size) Not that owning is the be-all end all, but I want to have the option. The wages are the same as Calgary if not lower. I knew so many people barely making ends, even without kids. I want to raise a family some day, and that ain't happening in Vancouver unless I win the lotto.
- The people. It sounds bad I know, but after a while I could barely stand a lot of the people. Endless numbers of pretentious wealthy idiots and a lot of the less well to do left wing types are just as annoying. As a left wing person myself I prefer the left wing people here in Calgary. In general Vancouver feels competitive and people aren't near as friendly.
Edit: also a seemingly large number of pretentious idiots who aren't wealthy lol.

other reasons
- Geography. I lived pretty close to downtown, but my work was often in Surrey and New West and required me having to drive. Driving in Vancouver sucks 100% compared to Calgary. If I could commute by transit or walk to work, it might have different, but for anyone who's not in that ideal situation where you can walk to work or live and work near transit, it really sucks. Be prepared to spend endless hours in your car.
- The gray winters. I liked not having to deal with -30C, but after weeks on end of gray weather I was going nuts. I prefer Calgary summers and winters, and prefer spring and fall in Vancouver, but those winters :(
-Diversity not as good as Calgary's. I like diversity, and it may seem strange, that I find the diversity better here in Calgary. Vancouver is more diverse in numbers, but is heavily diverse in two cultures. Those cultures have kind of formed their own large insular communities. It's kind of hard to explain, and would take a few more paragraphs.
There are some other minor reasons as well, but that's typical for every city including Calgary.

I like a lot of things about Vancouver, but IMO it's a better place to visit than it is to live.

Last edited:
Here are my main reasons.
- The cost of living. I realized that I would never own a house, or at least own the kind of place I wanted (an inner city house/duplex/rowhome of decent size) Not that owning is the be-all end all, but I want to have the option. The wages are the same as Calgary if not lower. I knew so many people just barely making it, even without kids. I want to raise a family some day, and that ain't happening in Vancouver unless I win the lotto.
- The people. It sounds bad I know, but after a while I could barely stand a lot of the people. Endless numbers of pretentious wealthy people, and a lot of the less well to do left wing types are just as annoying. As a left wing person myself I prefer the left wing people here in Calgary. In general Vancouver feels competitive and people aren't near as friendly.

other reasons
- Geography. I lived pretty close to downtown, but my work was often in Surrey and New West and required me having to drive. Driving in Vancouver sucks 100% compared to Calgary. If I could commute by transit or walk to work, it might have different, but for anyone who's not in that ideal situation where you can walk to work or live and work near transit, it really sucks. Be prepared to spend endless hours in your car.
- The gray winters. I liked not having to deal with -30C, but after weeks on end of gray weather I was going nuts. I prefer Calgary summers and winters, and prefer spring and fall in Vancouver, but those winters :(
-Diversity not as good as Calgary's. I like diversity, and it may seem strange, that I find the diversity better here in Calgary. Vancouver is more diverse in numbers, but is heavily diverse in two cultures. Those cultures have kind of formed their own large insular communities. It's kind of hard to explain, and would take a few more paragraphs.

I like a lot of things about Vancouver, but IMO it's a better place to visit than it is to live.
Reading this I was fairly sure I wrote this, haha. I had the exact same experience and came to the same conclusions that weighed on my decision to move back to Calgary.

Reading this I was fairly sure I wrote this, haha. I had the exact same experience and came to the same conclusions that weighed on my decision to move back to Calgary.
It's not just me then, 😋 lol. There were a few of us 'ex-pats' from Calgary, Edmonton and a couple of people from the Ontario who used to hang out. We spent much of our time complaining about Vancouver, especially about the people.

It's not just me then, 😋 lol. There were a few of us 'ex-pats' from Calgary, Edmonton and a couple of people from the Ontario who used to hang out. We spent much of our time complaining about Vancouver, especially about the people.
No it’s not just you. The two main reasons you spoke of are the same reasons I left Vancouver. Even if Vancouver was more affordable I still don’t know if I could tolerate the people. Honestly, despite Toronto being triple the size of Vancouver it’s a friendlier city. Then you have Calgary 100 times more chill and friendlier than Vancouver.

Absolutely, I’m from the Toronto area, have lived in the city for a year way back (age 18/19) and Vancouver for two years (19 - 21), and having been back to both extensively while living in Calgary the last 10 years (as of May 1 🥳), I can absolutely agree I like it here better, for a number of reasons. The only issue I have, as a gay man, the dating pool is unimaginably small and really just a circus of bullshit. The only relationships I’ve had here are with another Ontarian for 4.5 years, and a short one with a guy in Nashville. Essentially been single for 6 years because it’s so meh here. Otherwise, the city is wonderful.

Absolutely, I’m from the Toronto area, have lived in the city for a year way back (age 18/19) and Vancouver for two years (19 - 21), and having been back to both extensively while living in Calgary the last 10 years (as of May 1 🥳), I can absolutely agree I like it here better, for a number of reasons. The only issue I have, as a gay man, the dating pool is unimaginably small and really just a circus of bullshit. The only relationships I’ve had here are with another Ontarian for 4.5 years, and a short one with a guy in Nashville. Essentially been single for 6 years because it’s so meh here. Otherwise, the city is wonderful.
I’ve never considered something like the dating pool for homosexuals factoring into Calgary as a place to live, but it makes sense. For years homosexuals have gravitated to Vancouver or Toronto, not to mention those cities having larger populations to begin with.

No it’s not just you. The two main reasons you spoke of are the same reasons I left Vancouver. Even if Vancouver was more affordable I still don’t know if I could tolerate the people. Honestly, despite Toronto being triple the size of Vancouver it’s a friendlier city. Then you have Calgary 100 times more chill and friendlier than Vancouver.
I hate to paint everyone from a city with one brush, but those are my observations too. I’m sure Vancouver has good people, but it definitely has a higher than normal amount of asshats.

My main reasons.
- The cost of living. I realized that I would never own a house, or at least own the kind of place I wanted (an inner city house/duplex/rowhome of decent size) Not that owning is the be-all end all, but I want to have the option. The wages are the same as Calgary if not lower. I knew so many people barely making ends, even without kids. I want to raise a family some day, and that ain't happening in Vancouver unless I win the lotto.
- The people. It sounds bad I know, but after a while I could barely stand a lot of the people. Endless numbers of pretentious wealthy idiots and a lot of the less well to do left wing types are just as annoying. As a left wing person myself I prefer the left wing people here in Calgary. In general Vancouver feels competitive and people aren't near as friendly.
Edit: also a seemingly large number of pretentious idiots who aren't wealthy lol.

other reasons
There are some other minor reasons as well, but that's typical for every city including Calgary.

Vancouver is a terrible place if your poor or just working class, I laugh at the trades guys trying to live the SE calgary lifestyle in the lower mainland, now after this run they are having to commute from Chiliwack with their brodozers. Have fun with the $2 gas that ain't going anywhere. The thing about Vancouver to really "succeed" is you need to have a personal history here really. I moved here but my family has been in the region since the early 20s, while i have grinded out my own way, i know I could have had family financially backstop my real estate deals (they don't and haven't). There is soo much intergenerational wealth, that people in Calgary just can't understand.

the thing about Calgary is sadly too much of its wealth is squandered on jacked up pick up trucks, trailers, side by sides and boozed out trips to Mexico. This is less common among working class people in Vancouver, who are rocking out burnt out 98 civics.

I think many people who move here from Calgary will move back when this hits them clear in the face, and many vancouverites will move to Calgary and find that anyone can grind it out for a decent living and will end up staying. Its Calgary's game to win, now lets all get out there and try to make sure Calgary does win.

Vancouver is a terrible place if your poor or just working class, I laugh at the trades guys trying to live the SE calgary lifestyle in the lower mainland, now after this run they are having to commute from Chiliwack with their brodozers. Have fun with the $2 gas that ain't going anywhere. The thing about Vancouver to really "succeed" is you need to have a personal history here really. I moved here but my family has been in the region since the early 20s, while i have grinded out my own way, i know I could have had family financially backstop my real estate deals (they don't and haven't). There is soo much intergenerational wealth, that people in Calgary just can't understand.

the thing about Calgary is sadly too much of its wealth is squandered on jacked up pick up trucks, trailers, side by sides and boozed out trips to Mexico. This is less common among working class people in Vancouver, who are rocking out burnt out 98 civics.

I think many people who move here from Calgary will move back when this hits them clear in the face, and many vancouverites will move to Calgary and find that anyone can grind it out for a decent living and will end up staying. Its Calgary's game to win, now lets all get out there and try to make sure Calgary does win.
Good points. I suspect there has been a fair bit of 'nouveau riche' money in Calgary that has been squandered in recent years. With a short history of wealth and prosperity there isn't much inter-generational wealth here compared to many other cities.

Last edited:
My main reasons.

other reasons

Expanding on JWhites diversity point, I found that Vancouver had large groups of East Asian, South Asian and Persians but largely wasn’t a very diverse city. All of my black friends were from Calgary, Edmonton or Montreal and it had very small minority groups outside of the ones previously mentioned comparatively to other Canadian cities. It also felt a lot more segregated than Calgary, my friend groups tended to co-mingle way less in Vancouver than here or in when I was in Toronto. Not sure why and is anecdotal, but I’d be surprised if others didn’t find the same thing.

Back