News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Amazon looking to open second HQ office. Does YYC have a chance?

So looking at the RFP, the West Village would be a no go, as it isn't anywhere near close to ready to go. Even all the low rise + Gulf Canada square is only 50 acres (west area), though I seriously doubt the requirement for 100 acres, which is seriously low density, under 2 FAR.
amazon.jpg

All of the rail corridor adjacent redevelop-able land gets you to 100 acres. But that is a seriously stretched non-walk-able site. Would need a horizontal elevator system!

As a comparison, Apple's new headquarters is on 175 acres, and is much smaller in office square feet at around 3 million + 9000 parking spaces.

30 acres would allow average 9 story buildings with 1/3rd open space for an eventual 8 million square feet.

Gulf Canada Square - GWL could have it cleared out by transferring lessees to its other towers pretty fast. Huge floor plates. 250,000 square feet contiguous available without any re-stacking.

Captureamaz2.PNG

https://www.cubecities.com/altus/prod/apps/taltus/index.php?cityId=2

Attachments

• amazon.jpg
    amazon.jpg
    339.5 KB · Views: 331
  • Captureamaz2.PNG
    Captureamaz2.PNG
    1,014 KB · Views: 357
Great share darwink. I didn't know anything like this existed. Incase anyone else in wondering, blue is space available for direct lease, light blue is partially available. Green is available for sub-lease, light green is partially available and orange is under construction.

I had no idea that so much of Brookfield was already spoken for. The big losers look to be 707, 5th & 5th and Gulf Canada. And wow, Hannover place, the building directly behind Telus which isn't visible in this shot is nearly totally empty.

The Gulf Canada Square makes a lot of sense. It's not as sexy as Canal Village tho ;)

From a logistics standpoint, it would be so easy to start off in GSC, and then add another building on the west side of 4th. The two buildings could be connected to make a campus style setting, and they would also be connected into the core.

The Gulf Canada Square makes a lot of sense. It's not as sexy as Canal Village tho ;)

From a logistics standpoint, it would be so easy to start off in GSC, and then add another building on the west side of 4th. The two buildings could be connected to make a campus style setting, and they would also be connected into the core.
Plus you could finish off the Centron office building to the south across the tracks for a phase 3 if needed.

I would have never thought of that area viable for Amazon, but it makes total sense. If I were Amazon, I would be interested in this. Looking at all the other NA cities being considered, can any could offer something this large right in around the core this quickly and easily, and with ability to expand?

I would expect Gulf Canada Square to come in at around $20 per square foot for a tenant willing to take the whole building. Which would put us in Pittsburgh/Minnie/Dallas category. I could see Dallas finding the space to develop and expand, given all those empty parking lots around downtown. I think this whole idea of Gulf Canada Square makes a lot of sense. One nice thing about having a downtown controlled by and handful of pension funds, is that it's easy to re-arrange space.

Back