News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

2018 Municipal Census Results

These are really good numbers. Natural increase is down a bit, probably due to the economy. IMO, the big news is the net migration gain of 11K.

The other big story here is the Beltline increasing by almost 1700 people. That’s amazing growth for one year, and still more to come.

If we're attracting something like 17,000 permanent residents / immigrants every year and we have positive domestic net migration, why is net migration gain only 11,000?

I know some immigrants go back home, which would explain part of it. It must also be because non-permanent / temporary foreign workers are leaving.

If we're attracting something like 17,000 permanent residents / immigrants every year and we have positive domestic net migration, why is net migration gain only 11,000?

I know some immigrants go back home, which would explain part of it. It must also be because non-permanent / temporary foreign workers are leaving.
My guess is some go back home, some go to other parts of the province or country, and some maybe even to places right in the Metro. Other cities have the same issue - Vancouver, Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, Winnipeg, to name a few, are all losing population if you take away natural increase and international migration. If I had to guess I would say the biggest reason is people moving to smaller centres in the same province. They could also be moving to other parts of the country, but in cases they would immigrate to that part of the country to start off with.

Much better results than I expected, and much better than Calgary Economic Development expected. Lets hope momentum continues.

We're definitely back. If we compare to the most recent year-over-year growth in the US, only the cities of San Antonio and Phoenix added more people. We're ahead of Dallas, which has a comparable population.

Nice to see some good robust growth. It feels like everything is turning around. I imagine the CMA will have grown by about 25-26K

I'd estimate the CMA total will have grown by about 29 to 30 000. I mean, Airdrie grew by 3 200, while Cochrane and Chestermere are still all going nuts as well.

Edit: oh whoops, Cochrane only grew by 1 640, and Chestermere only by 401. So far the CMA is at 26 217. And Okotoks growing decently, with 986 new residents.

Last edited:
I know the whole adding Okotoks thing has become sort of a running joke, but the fact is, adding Foothills will be a huge boost in numbers. Foothills is probably around 74K by now. As of 2016 Federal Census it was 71,393.

Hard to believe that by 2019 Calgary CMA in conjunction with Foothills will likely be over 1.6M

Last edited:
Overall housing vacancy is just below 4 percent! We need to build more housing units if the growth trend continues like this into 2019 and 2020. It takes time to develop an area and build new houses, the same with condominiums and apartments.

Lethbridge is now 99 769 people. That is pretty amazing. Alberta will soon have four municipalities with populations in the six/seven digits. That's pretty cool.

Definitely by 2019 but possibly sooner. I have a feeling when stats can comes out with their estimates in the fall, Calgary. will be around 1,520,000, and Foothills MD will be around 76k
I know the whole adding Okotoks thing has become sort of a running joke, but the fact is, adding Foothills will be a huge boost in numbers. Foothills is probably around 74K by now. As of 2016 Federal Census it was 71,393.

Hard to believe that by 2019 Calgary CMA in conjunction with Foothills will likely be over 1.6M

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if you guys recall, but everyone was throwing down some estimates a few months ago and I kept track of them. As a group we did pretty well. Out pessimists counterbalanced our optimists just a little too much, but a 1.66% error is nothing to sniff at when trying to read the tea leaves. @Surrealplaces & @UrbanWarrior stole the show with their near spot-on prognostications.

upload_2018-7-30_10-21-11.png

Here's an aggregate of all the growth figures I could find for the official Calgary CMA communities:

upload_2018-7-30_13-56-23.png

Most of the smaller communities don't seem to preform municipal censuses. Though there is some evidence that Rocky View and Crossfield have in the past. We can maybe check back in on them in a few weeks and see if anything pops up. Total growth was likely in the area of 27,000 for the CMA. At this rate, there might be a good shot of Calgary officially hitting 1.5M in time for the next census.

I'll be curious to see how well Airdie's growth fairs against Alberta's other large invisible City in Sherwood Park. They don't release their census results until September 1.

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-30_10-21-11.png
    upload_2018-7-30_10-21-11.png
    19.3 KB · Views: 508
  • upload_2018-7-30_13-56-23.png
    upload_2018-7-30_13-56-23.png
    21.9 KB · Views: 554
I don't know if you guys recall, but everyone was throwing down some estimates a few months ago and I kept track of them. As a group we did pretty well. Out pessimists counterbalanced our optimists just a little too much, but a 1.66% error is nothing to sniff at when trying to read the tea leaves. @Surrealplaces & @UrbanWarrior stole the show with their near spot-on prognostications.

View attachment 151816

Here's an aggregate of all the growth figures I could find for the official Calgary CMA communities:

View attachment 151833

Most of the smaller communities don't seem to preform municipal censuses. Though there is some evidence that Rocky View and Crossfield have in the past. We can maybe check back in on them in a few weeks and see if anything pops up. Total growth was likely in the area of 27,000 for the CMA. At this rate, there might be a good shot of Calgary officially hitting 1.5M in time for the next census.

I'll be curious to see how well Airdie's growth fairs against Alberta's other large invisible City in Sherwood Park. They don't release their census results until September 1.

In my defense it was more wishful thinking but I am happy with the end results despite being the furthest off haha.

Oh man! That is awesome! I totally forgot about that. :)

problems with late results - are the late results a 1st world problem - are voting machines a possible solution - do we need patience and should we live with paper ballots for security.
Below an interesting video.

Back