News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

2018 Municipal Census Results

Calgary and Edmonton grew up without local food systems for the most part - we've had the railway forever. I read at the Revelstoke museum that until the dams flooded the land, much of Calgary's 'local' vegetables were from the valley south of Revelstoke. I don't see any need to protect agricultural land beyond what can be accomplished through the regional bodies, control of water, and the South Saskatchewan regional plan.

Now, the Wildrose played significant footsie with the development industry and land owners about eliminating those constraints back in their day, so we shall see where a possible future government would go. Usually since it would incentivize jurisdiction shopping to the Nth degree all the small urban municipalities would fight it as well. Calgary would do well to not push further than those communities can support (the 8 unit per acre standard for connecting incremental development to the water system, while low for urban purposes does force development to not sprawl endlessly).

That is fantastic news. A growth of 21 000 really puts us back on track.

Looks like solid growth around many of our inner-city neighborhoods; continuing a strong trend we saw pre-recession.

upload_2018-7-27_10-50-40.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-27_10-50-40.png
    upload_2018-7-27_10-50-40.png
    114.7 KB · Views: 431
Close, just behind Panorama but I can see Beltline top 30K within 5 years while Panorma growth has stayed flat over the past few years.
upload_2018-7-27_11-40-18.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-27_11-40-18.png
    upload_2018-7-27_11-40-18.png
    45.8 KB · Views: 606
Close, just behind Panorama but I can see Beltline top 30K within 5 years while Panorma growth has stayed flat over the past few years.
View attachment 151530
Yep. With only 1,000 people difference, it's just a matter of how long before it overtakes Panorama. I'm going to say 2020 census, it'll be the most populous.

What would classify as an "inactive unit"? A condemned building or something slated for demolition?

When it comes to dwellings, all numbers trending in a positive direction.

View attachment 151571
Wow all those numbers really look good, especially seeing vacancy going down, the vacancy rate was a little scary last year. Heres to 25-30k more people next year! which is quite achievable I think if oil prices stay around this point and if we can knock down another 1% off the unemployment rate by next April. I think other than the economy improving, whats helping Calgary's healthy population growth is the fast tracked PR system for immigrants and the considerable amount of affordability when compared to Vancouver or Toronto.

Last edited:

Back