News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

2018 Municipal Census Results

Thanks for sharing Kora. Just shy of 5% growth (4.88%) is a little on the slow side by Airdrie's ludicrous recent standards. It is near average for it's absolute average growth over the last 10 years though. From 2008 to 2018 Airdri grew by 33,975 people from 34,446 to 68,091. That's an average of ~3,398 people per year. It grew by 3,169 from 2017 to 2018. It's natural for the catch-up effect to taper off at some point. That absolute number still strikes me as very healthy for a city it's size.

I'm a little disappointed with our slowed growth out here in Airdrie. Was really hoping we would have hit at least 69000 people already. Although the slowed growth will help infrastructure catch up as our badly needed 40th ave QE2 overpass is as far as I last heard not even on the GOA's 5 year radar.

We are definitely heading toward a period where the metro area starts to increase its share percentage wise. It won't be long before we see the metro area being where most of the growth is.
Good sign for the Calgary region as Airdrie's boom shows no sign of slowing down. At this rate they will hit 100,000 people in 10 years.

Population from municipal census:
2018: 68,091
2017: 64,922
2008: 34,116

I think this may also represent a fundamental shift in regional growth patterns. As "growth management" bureaucracy and higher prices curtail population growth in the City of Calgary, growth shifts to the outer municipalities. We may be seeing a permanent change in the 80-20 growth split that we're used to seeing when comparing the City of Calgary versus our suburban/rural neighbours.

2018 Official census results, City of Airdrie
https://www.airdrie.ca/index.cfm?serviceID=1090&ID=613

We are definitely heading toward a period where the metro area starts to increase its share percentage wise. It won't be long before we see the metro area being where most of the growth is.
Provided the mandated regional growth management boards allow it:
http://www.smartergrowth.ca/growing-together

Maybe I am being cynical, but we will see how this plays out. It is still set up to give Calgary a virtual veto on new growth decisions, as 2/3 of members representing 2/3 of the population are required to approve decisions.

68K...had no idea it was up in that range. I'm dating myself, but I remember the days when Airdrie was 1000 people.
Late 70’s. My parents moved here in 79-80. Shortly after my older brother was born and a couple years before I came along in ‘82.

There used to be a sign that said Airdrie pop 1000 and it was around for a quite while and then I think they finally changed it around 1980, and it was something like 3,600 My dad was working building some new houses in what was then Airdrie's first new subdivision. I was a kid, but I went to work with him a a few times on weekends. A lot has changed in that time.

Provided the mandated regional growth management boards allow it:
http://www.smartergrowth.ca/growing-together

Maybe I am being cynical, but we will see how this plays out. It is still set up to give Calgary a virtual veto on new growth decisions, as 2/3 of members representing 2/3 of the population are required to approve decisions.

It's true .... we'll see how this plays out. I think a greenbelt like in Toronto would be a good idea for Edmonton and Calgary. Draw a 100 km radius around both cities and restrict development to certain nodes. Protect agricultural and natural land ..... But I don't think such a scenario for Alberta is likely, especially with the change of provincial government coming next year.

Currently the massive Omni development in Rocky View, east of Calgary is being appealed by the City of Calgary for its scale and impact on city infrastructure. They say it would be on the scale of Balzac.

Why would we need to preserve agricultural land close to the cities? There is no shortage of it within the more rural parts of the province. And, because it has been used extensively for agricultural purposed for the last 100 years or so, I don't think there is much natural land left to preserve. Anything that is still natural should already be protected as dedicated Environmental Reserve at the time of subdivision.

I am not advocating constant sprawl, but controls should be reasonable and still give autonomy to the independent jurisdictions. I fear the Omni development is an omen of how this will play out. Developers and the County see a great opportunity to take advantage of existing infrastructure and local policy. The City appeals it. Officially they are claiming infrastructure reasons, but if I were to bet, the real reason is they are pissed at the fact the tax base is not locating within their boundaries.

There used to be a sign that said Airdrie pop 1000 and it was around for a quite while and then I think they finally changed it around 1980, and it was something like 3,600 My dad was working building some new houses in what was then Airdrie's first new subdivision. I was a kid, but I went to work with him a a few times on weekends. A lot has changed in that time.
In that time frame we would have had Meadowbrook, Thorburn, Summerhill, Airdrie Meadows and Big Springs all starting up! Back then they obviously did not have the yearly census and growth from 1976-1981 was almost 500% according to StatsCan. Airdrie Meadows is connected to The Village portion of Airdrie so it likely wasn't that area. Meadowbrook, Thorburn and Big Springs are all on the east side of QE2 so they would have been the biggest deal back then. Big Springs being mainly trailers back then and chap housing so likely not where your father was working. Did he work for Wimpey Homes? Not sure on spelling but they were the main builder building in Meadowbrook at the time.

In that time frame we would have had Meadowbrook, Thorburn, Summerhill, Airdrie Meadows and Big Springs all starting up! Back then they obviously did not have the yearly census and growth from 1976-1981 was almost 500% according to StatsCan. Airdrie Meadows is connected to The Village portion of Airdrie so it likely wasn't that area. Meadowbrook, Thorburn and Big Springs are all on the east side of QE2 so they would have been the biggest deal back then. Big Springs being mainly trailers back then and chap housing so likely not where your father was working. Did he work for Wimpey Homes? Not sure on spelling but they were the main builder building in Meadowbrook at the time.
I remember Wimpey Homes, but I don't know if he did work for them or not. He did stucco and drywall and I was out helping him do some drywall on the odd weekend. There were lots of new homes going up, but I don't recall which neighborhoods I was in...only that I was doing cleanup work for $2.00/hr which as a 12 year old I thought was big bucks. lol.

The Calgary civic census should be out soon, doesn't it usually come out in July?

Back