BMO Centre Expansion | 25m | 5s | CMLC

Loving all this talk about moving The Stampeders to a rebuilt GMC Stadium on the Stampede grounds (30k ish capacity). Lots of issues to work out but nothing that seems insurmountable - we just need a “champion” of the cause..

We could then demolish McMahon and re-imagine that whole property. I would suggest a 5000 seat facility for the UC Dinos & Cavalry but the rest could be multi-family or whatever.

Calgary really needs a modern stadium and this would consolidate uses so we would only have one rather than two that sit empty most of the time.

Side Note:
As Calgary Tiger corrected himself on - I think the Stamps would only need to be on the road for 2 games during Stampede.

The chucks are an international phenomenon! Competitors come from as far away as Montana, and Saskatchewan.

I joke, but the chuckwagon races really are something that's unique to Calgary. As much as I don't care about rodeo sports in general, it would be a shame to lose something that sets us apart.

Losing the Chucks is sad, but I think it's only a matter of time.

Also re: The Southerns losing the location of the Calvary.

I dunno. I think CSEC buying the Cavs is probably the best move. Maybe they can stay on as a minority owner? I just don't think the transportation and amenities is conducive to long-term success at Spruce Meadows.

Losing the Chucks is sad, but I think it's only a matter of time.

Also re: The Southerns losing the location of the Calvary.

I dunno. I think CSEC buying the Cavs is probably the best move. Maybe they can stay on as a minority owner? I just don't think the transportation and amenities is conducive to long-term success at Spruce Meadows.
We're well off track of the BMO but I'll say this and try to get it back on track:

I don't see them divesting (something you do at a bank that could be a BMO) from Cavalry. It brings people to Spruce Meadows outside of their core horse event days and likely doesn't cost them a lot of money (something banks, like BMO, love). There are big plans for what they want to do with Spruce Meadows (that could include convention space and could compete with the BMO Centre).

The Southern's also have land near MRU that could make for a good location for a soccer stadium and mini-entertainment district (that could include a BMO bank or at least an ATM) right next to Currie. The mini-entertainment district would also serve the ATCO office and other area offices well, not to mention the people that will eventually live in Currie. It is also close to a BRT stop and what could be a street car, so pretty well connected to transit.

I always thought of the CalgaryNEXT project as a decent project, that was proposed horribly. The area (if creosote removed) can be a great place to develop a second entertainment district. I wish that they built a new football stadium there with around ~35k seats, and then develop the rest of the area.

As of now, isn’t the long term plan to eventually renovate McMahon? I swear that place is going to be 100 years old and still be the home of the stampeders in 2060.

I always thought of the CalgaryNEXT project as a decent project, that was proposed horribly. The area (if creosote removed) can be a great place to develop a second entertainment district.
Personally, I'd rather we first focus on finishing the development of the first entertainment district. Still plenty to do on that one, and would rather avoid having two half-assed districts.

Maybe I'm wrong but the issue seems to be that there's no champion for a McMahon and/or Grandstand replacement. It is one thing for us to talk about but the city, CSEC, and the Stampede don't really seem to be making any noise about it. There's little things here and there in the Foothills Athletic Park thing about modernizing McMahon but it seems half hearted.

It seems so obvious that there are a lot of synergies but it will take someone with a influential voice to push something like this forward into the collective conscience.

Maybe in the next mayoral race?

I will also say that there's no way The Southern's let Cavalry leave their little thing they got going on at Spruce Meadows. There are plans for a proper soccer stadium there in the future. Judging by the fact they're playing their CONCACAF Champions Cup game in Victoria in February rather McMahon speaks volumes about The Southern's and CSEC working together. I give the Surge a lot of credit for working with CSEC to get a Surge game at the dome this spring, Cavalry could learn a lot from the Surge.
Not overly surprised there doesn't appear to be a champion for the project. I have some long term concerns with the cfl…surviveable yes, but worthy of that level of investment for 9 games a year? Cant imagine CSEC would be as enthused to invest as well.

My biggest issue with the public investment piece is…it sits empty 350+ days a year. NFL team have turned their stadiums in 365 event facilities, with large meeting rooms, wedding/banquet space, huge team stores, restaurants, tours….cfl teams just dont have that level of daily fandom, even sask!

Not overly surprised there doesn't appear to be a champion for the project. I have some long term concerns with the cfl…surviveable yes, but worthy of that level of investment for 9 games a year? Cant imagine CSEC would be as enthused to invest as well.

My biggest issue with the public investment piece is…it sits empty 350+ days a year. NFL team have turned their stadiums in 365 event facilities, with large meeting rooms, wedding/banquet space, huge team stores, restaurants, tours….cfl teams just dont have that level of daily fandom, even sask!
The things you mention for an NFL stadium are not what makes it profitable. The cities or counties where the teams play subsidize the stadiums and they're as big city-building failures as anything built here. Look up the Cincinnati Bengals "state-of-the-art" clause, I'm sure the ratepayers of Cincinnati don't write it off because of their fandom. The city will need to put public money towards it, especially because the city can actually use a facility like this. It is a positive that it would be smaller stadium that behemoth NFL ones. You'd have the 10 or 11 games the Stampeders play the 10 days for the Stampede and you can buddle it in the winter and give yourself a proper indoor field in what would be the centre of the city, that extends its use from 9 to hundreds of days. Afterall it would be a city facility.

Don't forget the potential to host a couple outdoor large concerts if you built a new stadium. McMahon is limited due to noise concerns and the facility itself. Even if we were able to snag 2 outdoor concerts or festivals a year that would be a big boost for the city. My dream would be for the city to build a 30,000 seat indoor stadium with translucent roof/windows like in Minnesota. Retractable roof would be sweet but I doubt they could afford it.

Don't forget the potential to host a couple outdoor large concerts if you built a new stadium. McMahon is limited due to noise concerns and the facility itself. Even if we were able to snag 2 outdoor concerts or festivals a year that would be a big boost for the city. My dream would be for the city to build a 30,000 seat indoor stadium with translucent roof/windows like in Minnesota. Retractable roof would be sweet but I doubt they could afford it.
I'm actually not sure an indoor stadium would be worth the cost. IMO weather doesn't keep me away from McMahon. Plus your main tenant doesn't use it from December to May, I think the buddle keeps it usable and significantly reduces the cost

The pics done really show it, but many of the panels are warping already. Only noticeable in the sun, good thing we’re the sunniest major city in the federation ☠️ 😂
C7ADAC00-4725-477B-AC77-94EB388DBC0F.jpeg
18CD44B8-0E29-40EE-B2A0-C602543F4754.jpeg
D51570B4-85FE-400C-9A04-5714A553AA6A.jpeg

Whenever I see that blank brick wall along 17th Ave and the LRT station, I think what an opportunity wasted. Aside from potential retail, they could've gone a step further and added a few storeys of affordable housing units on top, something I'm sure all three levels of government would have been ok to fund.

Agreed there. Walking along the new 17 Ave extension I kept thinking “how in the world did they not plant a bunch of trees along the north and south sides of the avenue?” Like… as if Stampede Park has virtually no shade as it is 🤦🏻‍♂️

Whenever I see that blank brick wall along 17th Ave and the LRT station, I think what an opportunity wasted. Aside from potential retail, they could've gone a step further and added a few storeys of affordable housing units on top, something I'm sure all three levels of government would have been ok to fund.
No experienced retailer/restauranteur would ever be interested in the blank wall location. No parking (unless you pay $17.00 and are willing to fight event traffic).

Back