News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

General Construction Updates

I used to ride dirt bikes on the site just to the north of the theatres (lived in Canyon Meadows from 1977 until 1988). It had a sign saying something about a future hospital from at least the late 70s. I think a site further south on Macleod was considered for a while before the selection of Seton. The west side of Macleod was Beth Tzedec Park, so I would guess the hospital site would had to have been what is now the South Calgary Health Center. A remanent of Beth Tzedec Park remains. The rest of it was developed piece by piece, starting with the Safeway strip mall, which opened in 1991.
Could have been slowly moved further out as time past for sure! I don't think they originally intended to expand Rockyview as much as they did (in ~1980, likely when the plan first was moved south, then in 2005ish). Change in hospital philosophy for sure.

The area around CM Station is very unfortunate. All of the land save Avenida and the strip mall at Lake Fraser and Canyon Meadows Drive was vacant until 1992 as it had been planned for the south hospital that ended up in Seton. In 1992-93 several single family houses were built along Bonaventure drive and the mall that is now the theatre opened as a very large grocery store. When CM station was originally planned, the residents along Bonaventure didn't want LRT parking behind them, so the City agreed to construct the parking structure and sell the triangular shaped land that was originally planned as parking, for residential (this never happened).

The good news is that the strip mall, theatre, car dealership, funeral home and triangle land could easily be redeveloped.
Again if one is ambitious enough to dig through old SSP threads, didn't the Advantage Ford site at one point have a proposal for a couple of highrise residential towers? But, there was big opposition from the community to the east, so the developer turned it into a car dealership instead?

I get that the inner city needs dog parks too but that's kind of disappointing. From what I've seen of irresponsible pet owners I imagine that astroturf to be a field of turds in no time.

On another note has a tenant taken over the old house on the corner?
It’s the Beltline Community Association building.

Still on schedule for completion in the spring of 2029
IMG_4169.jpeg

I have zero clue what the bell this thing will look like and what their vision is. Looks like a cluttered mess of wooden poles.

Honestly, I'm just looking forward to the return of some sort of splash park feature to the area and the relocation of the white log cabin to be front and centre on the riverwalk as a café space. Could they have done something better with the rest of the plaza space? Absolutely. But if they nail the splash park and the café space, it will be a huge improvement to that area and really draw people in the summer time.

Hi: I am a regular on UT and SSP but wanted more information on development in central Canadian cities so here I am. By doing a quick tally of the projects under construction I got a total of 2 384 units under construction. A question that I have is whether there is a lot of development around the lrt stations or if there is an system of emerging suburban city centres like we see in Vancouver and Toronto. Thanks!

Hey Rdaner, welcome. Not a lot of development happening around our LRT stations right now unfortunately although a few projects are in the works. We do have some interesting developing suburban areas but nothing close to the scale you'd see in TO and Van. The closest thing to a suburban centre would be Quarry Park. University District is looking great and West District is coming along. The caveat to this is all of those are still within the city limits, so not the same situation as a Mississauga or Surrey.

The caveat to this is all of those are still within the city limits, so not the same situation as a Mississauga or Surrey.
I would say this is due to the fact that it is relatively easy to get around the region in a timely manner so there isn't a huge desire for alternative city centres.

For the longest time Chinook was envisioned as an alternate city centre with a major shopping mall and ctrain station already there but I'm not sure if any actual development towards that aim has really happened. Also I think Northpointe in country hills was the north equivalent, but even though it has 10 regular bus routes + 1 BRT route that stops there I can't see anything really happening until the Green Line LRT shows up there.

arguably with work from home and other factors making downtown less of a mandatory office centre it might make more sense now to flesh out these alternate areas

Back