News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.9K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.7K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.9K     0 

General Construction Updates

April used to work for Rick Balbi, who is the applicant architect for that Douglasdale project:

No drawings attached to the link unfortunately, but based on the description, this won't be a super dense highrise TOD:
1700694042807.png

Considering the context of the area anything would be an improvement. 11 meters would probably be 4 or 5 stories? I wonder if it will be condos or townhomes? Considering the retail I'm guessing condos? Though it might also be a mix of both.

April used to work for Rick Balbi, who is the applicant architect for that Douglasdale project:

No drawings attached to the link unfortunately, but based on the description, this won't be a super dense highrise TOD:
11 m? Not even 4 and 1s? Seems pretty low. Would be interesting to see the full application. I wonder if it is modular and temporary. I think at 3 floors they can get away without having elevators.

Thé 114 Ave and 29 St SE site will almost certainly be townhomes or stacked townhome buildings, maybe one or two 4 storey apt. Retail will be strip mall turning its back on the streets around it. Tons of surface parking and hardie panel and EZ trim as far as the eye can see. I don’t even think we need to see the proposal. Welcome to what a broken LUB, mobility engineering comments at DTR, UDRP comments for ´articulation’ and VEing from the builder will create. Calgary baby

Last edited:
3 storeys. Figure about 4m per storey, give or take. R-C2 zoning allows for 8.6 m (typical 2-storey infill), and R-CG allows for 11 m (3-storey townhouse).

That's what I figured. A bit lacklustre but still a better use than the prime spot next to Canyon Meadows lrt that ended up a car dealership. Between this and the Les Jardins townhomes in Quarry Park there will be a lot of residential next to the Greenline stations.

Thé 114 Ave and 29 St SE site will almost certainly be townhomes or stacked townhome buildings, maybe one or two 4 storey apt. Retail will be strip mall turning its back on the streets around it. Tons of surface parking and hardie panel and EZ trim as far as the eye can see. I don’t even think we need to see the proposal. Welcome to what a broken LUB, mobility engineering comments at DTR, UDRP comments for ´articulation’ and VEing from the builder will create. Calgary baby

Is that a cynical guess or you've seen the plans?

The area is commercial and light industrial with strip mall retail already. I get that this had potential to be more, but it's been sitting as a field for decades.

That same site had a proposal in the early to mid 2000's for several highrises. If one were sufficiently motivated, it can probably be found on skyscraperpage.

That's what I figured. A bit lacklustre but still a better use than the prime spot next to Canyon Meadows lrt that ended up a car dealership. Between this and the Les Jardins townhomes in Quarry Park there will be a lot of residential next to the Greenline stations.
The area around CM Station is very unfortunate. All of the land save Avenida and the strip mall at Lake Fraser and Canyon Meadows Drive was vacant until 1992 as it had been planned for the south hospital that ended up in Seton. In 1992-93 several single family houses were built along Bonaventure drive and the mall that is now the theatre opened as a very large grocery store. When CM station was originally planned, the residents along Bonaventure didn't want LRT parking behind them, so the City agreed to construct the parking structure and sell the triangular shaped land that was originally planned as parking, for residential (this never happened).

The good news is that the strip mall, theatre, car dealership, funeral home and triangle land could easily be redeveloped.

One advantage of Canyon Meadows station is that the pedestrian bridge over the tracks leads right into the community. Houses on 130 Ave are like a pleasant 3 minute walk from the station. There's no streets to cross or parking lots to trudge through.

I don't know the zoning situation around there, but the houses seem to be bungalows and split levels on 50-60 foot lots. R-CG/H-GO is a possibility there for redevelopment.

Last edited:
City agreed to construct the parking structure and sell the triangular shaped land that was originally planned as parking, for residential (this never happened).
Hmm. DC 134Z90 Site 2B
"The land use shall be for L.R.T. Park and Ride facilities. If such facilities are determined not to be required by the City, retail stores, offices (other than medical)and personal service businesses may be allowed to a maximum of 37,000 squarefeet net floor area over both sites combined."

The bylaw allows for a bus only road/gate at 129th.

A parcel that time forgot. You'd think it would be perfect to flip to attainable homes, a housing co-op or somesuch.

The provincial hospital land was south of Shawnessy Blvd iirc.
I used to ride dirt bikes on the site just to the north of the theatres (lived in Canyon Meadows from 1977 until 1988). It had a sign saying something about a future hospital from at least the late 70s. I think a site further south on Macleod was considered for a while before the selection of Seton. The west side of Macleod was Beth Tzedec Park, so I would guess the hospital site would had to have been what is now the South Calgary Health Center. A remanent of Beth Tzedec Park remains. The rest of it was developed piece by piece, starting with the Safeway strip mall, which opened in 1991.

Back