News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

My wife's parents just moved into the old International Hotel building which has been reno'd into rental apartments by Minto. I have a vague recollection that there once was a proposal for a new high-rise to be built on the Impark lot immediately to the east of the International Hotel building. Does anyone on here remember that and, if so, know if it's still in the realm of possibilities?
That slipped under the radar! Didn't even know that conversion was going on.

It's a shame the apartments have to be at that end of the development. 400m isn't overly far, but not overly close either. At least they are close to the pedestrian bridge.
True - on the plus side, it's actually one of the better apartment blocks with pathway connectivity under consideration, with the bridge and to the Bow River Pathway just to the north down the slope. The hill is rough, but you're only 500m from the river down a pretty scenic pathway.

26th has been an awesome example of non-master planned TOD. Rough guidelines, no inflated land assembly by a third party to try to capture the land value without building (cough*Westbrook*cough).
Agreed. Having the rough guidelines in place and letting things happen organically can work out nicely.

Has this Project been Brought up yet? I found it while trying to dig for information on some older projects. If not its a nice little filler for 17th Ave SW. The developer is Certus Developments, the same guys that had the Tigerstedt Block on Centre Street. This one is called 1103 17TH Avenue, sitting on the corner of 17th and 10th But I'm not sure how old it is or how long its been sitting, but it's definitely an upgrade over what is currently there. Looks like the building has 2 different execution options, one with a single story and one with 2.

Screen+Shot+2020-12-02+at+3.34.07+PM.png
image-asset.png
Screen+Shot+2020-12-02+at+3.33.53+PM.png

Screen+Shot+2020-12-02+at+3.34.22+PM.png

Screen+Shot+2020-12-02+at+3.34.14+PM.png

Option 1 is nice, a little bit of height helps to make the development more prominent. IMO A single-storey building on a main street is just as bad as 30 storey tower. Hate the parking on the side doe. Could be used to put a bigger patio there and leave more walking space for the front sidewalk

Has this Project been Brought up yet? I found it while trying to dig for information on some older projects. If not its a nice little filler for 17th Ave SW. The developer is Certus Developments, the same guys that had the Tigerstedt Block on Centre Street. This one is called 1103 17TH Avenue, sitting on the corner of 17th and 10th But I'm not sure how old it is or how long its been sitting, but it's definitely an upgrade over what is currently there. Looks like the building has 2 different execution options, one with a single story and one with 2.

View attachment 295655
Very interesting - I am a fan of elevated patios but it's a shame they don't get serious about the location and remove the parking lot - either option would be better (and the neighbourhood/city as a whole) if we removed it. Especially in the most walkable and pedestrian-dense area of the city.

As will become clear very shortly - I am no architect and can barely operate MS Paint - but this is a better plan than either proposed. This isn't rocket science.

1611374605928.png

My pro-urban life bias shows here, but any proposal on 17th Ave that keeps a parking lot, and elevates a patio (to get away from the street because it's noisy from the cars you have enabled) is one of those trick developments: it might look cool but ultimately breaks the connection with the street that is crucial to the very urban and patio life that it claims to be celebrating.

I like Option one due to the elevated patio facing toward the street. I'm not a fan of the side parking, and surprised that they would keep. They aren't getting revenue from it, whereas they could with a larger resto, or another unit.

Certus is a great developer - hope to see more projects from them.

In other news related to recently closed 17th Ave businesses, there is an application for the former KFC site at 1240 17 AV SW for an addition to add additional CRU frontage. Nothing crazy but it's always a positive to add streetfront retail, especially with varied frontage that makes for a better streetscape.

Link

1240%2017th%20Ave%20SW%202%20%28dragged%29.jpg

Back