RNDSQR Block | 44.8m | 12s | RNDSQR | 5468796 Architecture

The English word gaudy is late 15th century origin and Antoni Gaudi lived 1852-1926 so it’s more curious coincidence I think. Perhaps if he was familiar with the English term he defined his architectural style to correlate for humour.

I always wondered if that's where the expression came from?

Well there's absolutely nothing Gaudi about this building lol. I don't see it as gaudy either, to me that means ostentatious and this building isn't that either.

If anything, it's the opposite. The exterior is uniform and not grossly ornamented (gaudy).

Totally. One could call it ugly, if they don't like the design, but the design doesn't fit into the definition of gaudy. Trump's Florida place is the textbook definition of gaudy.

ABCEF534-3D23-4CD3-84F7-61BA7EF73323.jpeg

Attachments

• A879BD9C-876D-45E7-9D89-C86753AA74E7.jpeg
    A879BD9C-876D-45E7-9D89-C86753AA74E7.jpeg
    209.4 KB · Views: 202
  • B60CE186-5854-4559-A095-9536E5546B91.jpeg
    B60CE186-5854-4559-A095-9536E5546B91.jpeg
    174.1 KB · Views: 170
Anyone know the zoom meeting or whatever to log into?

Oh shit I missed it ??

It’s not working from my phone, and my laptop is trashed. Care to give me the sparknotes version of events?

I'll try Urban: It won't be thoroughly accurate, so I apologize.
There were "sparks", so that much is public record on the webcast. There were two unexpected recusal's prior to the presentation and debate, which caused a fir bit of commotion in the "socially digitally distant" council chamber. David white and the RNDSQR team were present by phone, and made the land use application presentation with the planner. There were some questions as to why they didn't have a heritage architect on board, and I believe the response from the numbered company is that they have over 300 heritage projects under their belt, so no issue. Remember, this was a land-use redesignation application, tethered to the CIBC heritage asset and the Draft HEC plan, (Historic East Calgary). The bigger issue was the bonusing, they received bonusing and applied it as a 10m x10m public "integrated" plaza on site, and that's it. That's when the shit hit the fan. So the application was referred back to the applicant and they have to come back with amendments. It did not pass as is. I believe July was mentioned, but not sure.

So this is the coles notes version, with a lot of holes in it, apologies again. The best thing to do, for the unredacted truth, is behold the "spectacular webcast" when you get that chance.

Thanks a lot man, sounds like that sums it up nicely! ?

It really sucks that the relatively large plaza caused a commotion. Plaza space is the only thing missing from Atlantic, and it’s on the south facing side of the avenue to boot! Well, I guess this means they will be coming back with a shorter version now, which is too bad. I would have liked to see a nice crystalline beacon of modernity inside the historic beauty of Inglewood. Hopefully they just lob off two or three storeys and tweak the massing a bit and it gets accepted. We will have to wait and see.

Back