News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.7K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.9K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Another one similar to this (not RNDSQR though) has been applied for on a different Main Street, 37th Street SW:

H-GO format, but with retail fronting the main street. I wonder if we will see this built form start to proliferate:
1702062547233.png

Another one similar to this (not RNDSQR though) has been applied for on a different Main Street, 37th Street SW:

H-GO format, but with retail fronting the main street. I wonder if we will see this built form start to proliferate:
View attachment 525669
Lots to like here:
  • Walkable retail
  • Big density boost (2 houses to 24 units)
  • Family-sized, ground-oriented units
  • Lower cost built form / style
If this format gets dialed in and replicated in more places it's a real winner to a far more urban future for the city.

The only negative I could see is the stairs make accessibility problematic, otherwise I adore it.
Building code requires 50% of all building entrances to be barrier free (accessible). If these are townhouses, than that requirement is waived as these buildings / units are not public. This looks to have townhomes at the base, but apartments or something else above, so I would expect there to be an at grade entry and elevator in there somewhere. The render does appear to show a lobby entrance beside the restaurant.

Building code requires 50% of all building entrances to be barrier free (accessible). If these are townhouses, than that requirement is waived as these buildings / units are not public. This looks to have townhomes at the base, but apartments or something else above, so I would expect there to be an at grade entry and elevator in there somewhere. The render does appear to show a lobby entrance beside the restaurant.
H-GO requires that every unit have its own individual direct access to grade.

Back