News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.7K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.9K     0 

General Construction Updates

I think a large part of it is that the area around the Peace Bridge is so quiet a night whereas old cities have far more people in their main areas all times of the day and night. San Francisco is in a death spiral because of issues like this, and they haven't figured out the solution yet.
San Francisco is a bit of a unique case because of its housing cost and lax enforcement of drugs and street crime. It is true that most public amenities in North America are not made of glass unless it’s like a building which has security

Part of it could also be that in a large city, there wouldn't be as much opportunity to do something like this. There would be no significant stretch of time where nobody was on the bridge or even watching it from a distance.
That makes sense to me - yet another reason why a critical mass of density, with a plenty of mixes of activities and uses is the secret sauce for sustainable urban environments.

One of the office conversions in the CBD is going to become a hotel at 833 4th avenue SW. It’s going to cost $10 less per square foot to do this conversion versus the previous plan for a residential tower.

Calgary announces new downtown office conversion; separate project shifts from residential to hotel​

The hotel conversion, previously slated for residential when it was announced in July 2022, will cost the city $10 less per square foot.

Calgary announced another downtown office-to-residential conversion Wednesday afternoon, taking nearly 100,000 square feet of office space off the market.

Included in the announcement was the news that a previously approved residential conversion is shifting to a hotel development, while another is moving into its second phase of development.….

Matt Scace
Published Nov 08, 2023

All cables installed, both sides.

49CB1EC2-BF24-4618-A3DE-5365D7EE0120.jpeg
EDDFCBCE-11EF-4407-9156-CCAF164BEF03.jpeg

IMG_1681.jpeg

The empty field across 114th from the BRT and future lrt station at Douglasglen has this sign out. Does anyone know anything about this major TOD project? Sounds promising with 12 buildings, multifamily and retail. Been wondering when this prime land would get developed. Really happy to see it’s not another car dealership.

Humpy Hollow Park upgrade going well…

View attachment 522039

What an improvement! Had to do a double take cause I didn't recognize it at first. I went to St. Mary's and it's fascinating to see how much the area is changing. Really happy they preserved that house. Next up is getting rid of that gaping hole between 1st and 2nd St. Just hope they manage to preserve the old tree when they do.

Edit: Is that grass astroturf?

What an improvement! Had to do a double take cause I didn't recognize it at first. I went to St. Mary's and it's fascinating to see how much the area is changing. Really happy they preserved that house. Next up is getting rid of that gaping hole between 1st and 2nd St. Just hope they manage to preserve the old tree when they do.

Edit: Is that grass astroturf?
It’s astroturf, as that section is a dog park. Grass would be impractical, and become a mud patch completely devoid of grass within (optimistically) 6 months.

It’s astroturf, as that section is a dog park. Grass would be impractical, and become a mud patch completely devoid of grass within (optimistically) 6 months.

I get that the inner city needs dog parks too but that's kind of disappointing. From what I've seen of irresponsible pet owners I imagine that astroturf to be a field of turds in no time.

On another note has a tenant taken over the old house on the corner?

Back