Shawnessy Station | 62.5m | 18s | Telsec I S2 Architecture

Compared to most of the low rise projects around the city, this went up very quickly.
*gets Telsec on the phone* But Cidex IMMEDIATELY

IMG_2963.jpeg

So the DP for the next phase of this project has been submitted. The DP drawings also show what is planned for the final parcel as well. Quite a change from what was shown as a conceptual development earlier in this thread.

This permit is for Lot 5, with Lot 3 being the lot that has already been constructed:
1689887097971.png

The renderings:
1689887124697.png

1689887183501.png

1689887225508.png

1689887272873.png

It is now 62.5m tall, at 18 stories.

The towers look good given where they're being built. TBH, I don't have much of a care for what goes in that location, as it's kind of a write off thanks to the overall design of the area. The best outcome for that spot is lots of density near an LRT station with buildings that aren't too offensive and it looks like we're getting it.

It's a weird location, surrounded by the LRT line and Stroad/Highway of MacLeod Trail South. It's going to be car oriented no matter what you do. But there's Beth Tzedec Park, a grocery store, movie theatre, bookstore, and bar (Hudson's) all in walking distance - mind you, across some very large roadways. Also, the train station.

I actually like the design, given the site they have to work with. A lot of surface parking, but oh well. I think it'll provide a new housing option that isn't currently that plentiful. And maybe it'll help with the conversation about how we can retool these suburban parking wastelands directly adjacent to train lines. Calgary has a lot of "opportunity" in that department.

I actually like the design, given the site they have to work with. A lot of surface parking, but oh well. I think it'll provide a new housing option that isn't currently that plentiful. And maybe it'll help with the conversation about how we can retool these suburban parking wastelands directly adjacent to train lines. Calgary has a lot of "opportunity" in that department.
My thoughts also. It's better than what I would have expected for that location.

If the whole layout was even designed a little better, we could have had a semi-decent TOD. Move the Super Store east and have their backs facing MacLeod Move Shawville blvd slightly east to allow development of mixed use along the street and beside the station.

1689959730446.png

Less than ideal location for higher density development.It's an island that would be difficult to integrate with the surrounding area. We can't expect anything else than the suburban design here. I'm just a little surprised the developer is proposing ground floor retail.

Less than ideal location for higher density development.It's an island that would be difficult to integrate with the surrounding area. We can't expect anything else than the suburban design here. I'm just a little surprised the developer is proposing ground floor retail.
To the south of the proposed development is a retail centre that draws lots of traffic. Maybe the developer is looking to join in that traffic?

Big improvement over the original proposal. I have zero problems with this. The first phase looks good in person. Happy to see some highrises as well. A good mix of buildings. The orientation also seems better than originally proposed where people's units would have backed directly onto Stupidstore's back wall.

Back